Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 8600 plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I ran out of ink and attemped to use a 950XL cartridge initally, but while it was preparing, it gave me this error message:
"There was a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn the printer off, then on.  If problem persists, contact HP."  

It will not let me go to the home menu when this happens.

I did turn it off and on multiple times both with the power button and unplugging it.  I updated the frimware both on the computer and on the printer itself (both said I have the lastest drivers).  I have cleaned the contacts on the cartridge and on the printer head.  I even exchaned the 950XL with a normal 950, and it still does this.  

When I reinsert the old empty cartridge, it does not give me this message (only one that the cartridge is empty) and lets me got to the home menu.  I just cannot print anything because of this empty cartrige.  The new color ones I replaced do not give me this error.  It is only a new black cartridge.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bluemoon2018

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine hp ink cartridge?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Clean the printhead

To clean the printhead, go to Tools on the printer control panel.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Right Arrow () to display additional options.

3. Touch Setup (), and then touch Tools.

4. Touch Clean Printhead. There are three cleaning stages. A test page (different from the Print Quality Diagnostics page) prints between each cleaning stage. Do not use this test page for analysis. Touch No when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.

5. Print another Print Quality Diagnostics Report to determine if the issue is resolved.

6. Examine Test Pattern 2 on the Print Quality Diagnostics Report.

• If there are no defects in Test Pattern 2 and print quality is satisfactory, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If there are no defects in Test Pattern 2, but print quality is unacceptable, skip to the step to service the printer.

• If there are defects in Test Pattern 2, try cleaning the printhead again.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.