Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJetPro 98710

While clearing a paper jam on my OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer I snapped at the very end the thin clear plastic strip that runs tautly along the back of the printer carriage and is connected to both sides of the printer.  The printer now wont work and the plastic strip just dangles as the printer cartridges no longer carry.  The plastic strip has a smiley face on it at the end still connected.   Can this be fixed or will I need to get a new printer?  Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The encoder strip will need to be reattached.  I would suggest the method shown in the post here.  Inspect the detached end - is the strip damaged, or did it just become disconnected?  If damaged you may be able to repair with some strong packaging tape as described in my later posts in the thread above.  

If the strip is beyond repair you will need to replace it.  From the HP Partsurfer site I see the Encoder Strip listed as part number E3E01-80006.  This is used in a number of printers*.  A search turns up a number of the strips offered, including this one on Amazon for $10.

* The E3E01-80006 is used in the following printers:

HP OFFICEJET PRO 8210 PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8216 PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8710 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8710 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER UPG
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8717 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8720 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8720 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER UPG
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8727 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8730 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8740 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8740 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER UPG
HP OJ PRO 8710 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER INK
HP OJ PRO 8720 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER INK
HP OJ PRO 8740 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER INK
HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 Printer
HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 Printer Instant Ink
HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 Printer UPGD
HP OfficeJet Pro 8216 Printer
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer
HP OfficeJet Pro 8732M AiO Printer
HP OfficeJet Pro 8747 All-in-One Printer

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.