05-15-2020 11:19 PM
Hi, I have an old HP Deskjet 3650 printer that is working perfectly. This old printer is a photo printer. It uses tree type of cartridges hp27 (pygmented black), hp28 (CMY dye colour) and hp58 (dye light cyan, dye light magenta and dye black).
In Windows XP It can print with any of this combination of cartridges installed in the printer:
1) hp27+hp28 for 4colour print CMYK
2) hp27 only black printing
3) hp28 3-colour printing (prints a fake black combining all the 3 colours, it really looks like a good black, really dark, not greyish)
4) hp58+hp28 6-colour photo print
It prints really perfect good looking colour photos with all 6 dye photo ink
5) hp58 black printing. Using only the dye black ink to print in black
In Windows XP, whatever combination of cartridges you put in the printer the driver in Windows automatically recognize what cartridges are present and it shows them with ink level info and put the printer driver in the right mode to print correctly. Any of the 5 possibilities work perfectly in Windows XP.
Now, the problem. In Windows 10 the hp drivers are downloaded directly from Windows update. As it is stated in HP support page for the Deskjet 3650. This driver doesn't have ink level support and also doesn't automatically recognize what combination of cartridges is set up in the printer. So the driver let you manually indicate in a selectable option what cartridges did you put in the printer.
There are a lot of problems with this driver. This are the wrong behaviours in the different modes:
1) and 2) modes seems to work fine. Colours seems fine, black seem fine.
3) colours seem fine, but the black text print as a very very light grey almost unreadable ( very different to the almost black prints, this printer is capable with only hp28 cartridge as I can print in Windows XP)
So, the printer is unusable in this mode in Windows 10.
4) the 6 colours print is horrible, the colours are wrong, aos all the print has a "yellow glow".
(Keep in mind that the same printer, with the same hp58+hp28 cartridges prints a studio like photos in Windows XP, no kidding)
5) instead of printing using the black in only it prints in black with light magenta prints together like a ghost image. For example, it double prints text, you get a black text and all the letters have a ghosting letter in light magenta right next to them.
Will ever be a correction for this driver? Anyone else have this problems.
Now i'm printing using a Windows XP virtual machine under Windows 10 x64, but this is unpractical. I want a solution for this. If I pay for the printer and the cartridges I expect a HP to honour their customers.
05-22-2020 05:09 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:
• Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.
• When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
• Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.
Let me know if this helps.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
05-25-2020 12:40 AM
I already have the latest Windows10 built-in drivers installed using Windows Update. Those drivers are the ones with the problems I described in the first post.
How is it that HP doesn´t honour their coustomers?
They need to fix this drivers, This is part of your work
05-25-2020 09:14 PM
In fact, My HP 3650 printer is working perfectly,. So what HP is doing is non enviromental friendly. HP si forcing me to buy another printer and trough away mine. I won't be buying any other HP printer unless HP fix the drivers of my perfectly working HP printer.
This should be something mandatory by law for companies. No company should be permitted to generate such a waste of planet resources, no company has the rights.