Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased an invitation that was custom designed for me, and sent as a PDF.  The designer said "if you find it is printing too dark, print at 85% opacity...this will lighten the colors significantly."  I can not figure out how to change the opacity.  When I inquired further here is what she said

"Every printer will have slightly different verbiage, but I will walk you through my process.

-Print
-Properties
   -there will be several options to choose now...my color options are in the 'graphic' tab
   -there is a color mode that has options, color, grayscale or manual
   -select 'manual'
   -'color adjust'
   -then you can play will the brightness, up or down"

I can get to the color mode and am able to select manual, but can't figure it out from there.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

As a follow up to my original post, I am using HP printer model M251 PCL 6 in the windows 7 operating system.  I'm trying to print from a PDF document that I am not able to edit.  The colors are printing much darker than they appear on the screen.  Any tips woukd be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

You may find that a PostScript printer driver (if one is available for your printer model) offers more colour options than the PCL6 driver.

Or perhaps the application (Acrobat Reader?) with which you are opening the PDF file offers options?

HP Recommended

Hmm...  I downloaded and installed the Laserjet M251 PCL6 driver for Windows 7 and did not find any suitable controls for adjusting the darkness.

I an not a Laserjet expert (my expertise is in inkjet printers), I will pass this thread on to folks with Laserjet experience.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@zjillebean,

The below is a screenshot from a laserjet printer print driver. You will need to right click on the printer that you are wanting to adjust, then click on printer preferences.

Once there, locate the color tab.  Once there, you should see the HP Easy Color check box. If it is checked, then un-check it. This will give you access to the left options, manual and automatic.

Now click on manual- settings. This will give you access to other setting that you can adjust as you want.

You can also print in grayscale from this screen.

The color tab is only available on color laserjet printer and not knowing exactly what you want to do, you will have to experiment with each setting to get what you want.

The only other way to adjust print settings is to go to the original file and through the application.

ljpp.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

@AuntieEm,

Thank you for trying to help!  I am able to get to the stage that you detailed in the color tab, but then I don't know how to change the settings to get to 85% opacity.  Are you saying that changing the opacity is not an option and I need to either play with different settings to get the color I want OR ask the designer to lighten the colors in the original file?  Thanks, again!

HP Recommended

@jillebean,

Unfortunately, this is how the LaserJet driver works. You can either change the color funtions through the color tab in the printer preference or through the application you are printing from.

If you have a pdf file, say Adobe Acrobat Pro, you could possibly change the opacity though there. Or ask the designer to change the opacity.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.