Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm in the process of installing a new Officejet 5255, I'm using the wireless wizard to connect to my network. The printer shows that it is connected, however, my computer cannot find it. I've recycled the router, computer, and printer with the same result. I ran a wireless network test and I get the message "Other networks detected matching your network name (SSID) Yes. I would appreciate any help I could get in resolving the issue, I really don't know what next steps I should take.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Southernson1,

These days the Wireless routers are usually Dual Band ( 2.4GHz and 5 GHz ).  The SSID for both of the frequencies would be same in many cases. Kindly check if this is the situation in your case.

One need to ensure that both the printer and computer need to be connected to same network ( including Band )

Please find below the URL that should guide you.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5200-all-in-one-printer-series/14095737/model/1409...

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, I've checked, my computer and printer are on the same network. I can see the printer in the Devices and Printers folder now, but still cannot print?

HP Recommended

As listed by the report, having 2 SSIDs with the same name these will cause communication failures with your printer.

Temporary unplug any access point and only keep the router connected, ensure the printer is located nearby to the router (but not closer than 2 meters away) and restart the printer, then try printing and check for any change.

Assuming this works, I suggest contacting your service provider and ensure the nearby access point SSID is set with a unique name, so both the printer and the computer can be connected to the same access point.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and unfortunately your advice does not work in my use case.  I have recently installed a Netgear WiFi Mesh Range Extender on my network to take care of some wifi "dark spots".  By design the extender and router have the same SSID so you can roam anywhere in the work/house without switching to a different SSID. My HP printer (Officejet Pro 8600 N911g) now will not connect to Wifi. All other devices seem to handle connecting to my WiFi network with more than one access point with the same name, why won't an HP printer?  It appears that this has been a known issue for some time since some of these threads raising the problem go back to 2011.  Nowhere in the HP printer technical specs or marketing material have I seen a warning that Wifi connectivity is not possible on a network that have multiple access points with the same SSID. Sounds like my next printer cannot be an HP printer since I need AirPrint capability that is only available with WiFi connect printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.