Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520

We have owned our HP Envy 4520 for some time now and have been happy with it.  However in the last few weeks we find that it has lost WiFi connection and connection must be re-established.  The easiest way to do this is power the printer off and on again.

There are three computers on the network and all print on this device.

How do I get the printer to stop losing connection.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have been observing the connection status of the Envy 4520 for some time now.  Since December 14 at 7:46(am) the printer remained connected to WiFi for 3 days 9 hours.  Following power-up on December 17 at 21:03 the printer has remained connected.  I believe we can 'declare victory'.

Thanks to all for their assistance.

r.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@RichG4,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the operating system you are using?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Two of the computers on the network use Windows 10 and one uses Ubuntu 18.4.  I do not know what operating system the printer uses - HP proprietary I assume.

I do not understand why you are asking me about the computer.  The printer is not connected to a computer.  We detect that the printer is off line by the blinking blue light above the WiFi icon on the front panel.  Turning the printer off and on again causes the printer to re-establish WiFi connection, but this connection is maintained for a period from a few hours to a few days, then is lost.

I have checked to see if there are any outstanding updates to the printer's software.  The printer reports that its software is up to date.

HP Recommended

@RichG4

• Make sure the printer and the PCs are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PCs also should be on the 2.4GHz network.

Assigning a static IP address to the printer may resolve this issue, let us try these steps:

Restart the network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Assign static IP to the printer.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  5. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  6. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar0307,

Our ISP reconfigured the modem/router a while ago to support both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.  Then 'readjusted' things to make everything better automatically - a nightmare but I do not recall connectivity issues.  5GHZ seems to have gone away.  The Linux machine connects to the network via Ethernet anyway.  There has, in any event, never been a problem connecting to the printer provided it has not lost its WiFi connection.

It is possible, though, that the issue has dated from the above-mentioned 5GHZ session.  I will explore that further.  Meantime I will assign a static address to the printer and report back.

On a side note I spent the afternoon yesterday and this morning working at a computer situated right in front of the printer and thought to check the blue WiFi status light frequently.  Connection would often be maintain for only a few minutes, at other times, hours.

r.

HP Recommended

@RichG4

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you try the suggested steps and check whether the issue is resolved.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I  set up a fixed IP address on the printer yesterday afternoon and all seemed OK, but this morning connection was lost again.  I shut down and powered up the printer and the WiFi is reconnected with the same IP address, of course.  The two WiFi-connected computers were still both connected to the network.

Have there been other reports of printers losing WiFi connection?

HP Recommended

Let's try to update the Printer's firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion Betty0610,

The printer is set to automatically update.  I checked and it says that the printer is up to date and there are no updates available.

Happily the printer has maintained WiFi connection since a re-start yesterday morning.

Question: What happens if the router re-boots?  During the process, connection will be lost but normally devices would try to re-connect.  What does the Envy 4520 do?

Thanks,

r.

HP Recommended

@RichG4,

The HP Print and Scan Doctor might get this sorted out

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor from this Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Also, try using the HP Smart App and let me know if that helps. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh

You can refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640 for more information on HP Smart App

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.