Bob9600
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Output tray extender won't retract on deskjet 2540

Deskjet 2540
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and older

After swivelling the plastic output tray extender into place, it will not retract into the original stored position. It feels locked into position and brute force will break the plastic extender on my HP Deskjet 2540.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 564 612
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Bob9600

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that you are in need of support.

It seems like a hardware issue with the printer. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction. 
If your product is out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.
Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest
Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect
Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
New member weecl
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

According to step 2, item#5 of the setup poster (URL: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03849016), the output tray can be extended by swinging the tray out anticlockwise and then the extension will get locked in place when swung out completely.  To retract the tray, you might want to try giving a light tap on the hand-grip area (from the right side) to unlock the extension before swinging it back in.

0 Kudos
jim-jam
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have just had exactly the same problem and spent ages puzzling over how to get the little plastic tray extender back in. Thanks to Weecl for the suggestion of tapping the tray extender. I repeatedly tapped it quite hard and eventually it popped back and is now firmly tucked away. I don't feel like getting it out again any time soon!

0 Kudos
Oldfart45
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Weed,

Bless you my friend.  I tried forcing, prying,  pulling, pushing,   all to no avail, but after reading your suggestion, I "flicked" the little bugger with one finger, ( like we used to do to one another's ears in junior high ).   Success!!!   Thanks again

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation