Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer recently said it needed a replacement printhead which was sourced and installed (a brand new printhead). However, when I went to put the cartridges back in the printer that I had previously been using, it said I needed to install new cartridges. The cartridges are about 90% and since a new set are £125, I refuse to buy new ones until these are empty. I tried to reset the printer to accommodate this issue but I still get the same message. Is there anyway to override this message and continue to use the cartridges I already have? Cartridge protection was already turned off on the printer before so that doesn't work.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

With the new printhead, you should receive 4 new setup ink cartridges that need to be used for a new printhead initialization.

You can save your old used cartridges, they will work later after the ones new you got with the new printhead are emptied.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I didn't receive any setup cartridges with the new printhead and the company are currently out of office due to Covid-19 and so are unable to send me any out, hence my taking to the forums.

HP Recommended

Does your printer on the screen ask for SETUP cartridges?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

It says 'New, unused cartridges must be used for startup'

HP Recommended

Older models have a message to use SETUP ink cartridges, maybe HP changed the message on newer printers.

If you want to take a look in this YT video how it's done on the older printers ( not your model, but the steps should be the same). 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I think it is a different message as I have followed those instructions (in fact I already had trade supplies enabled) and it still didn't work

HP Recommended

If you want to risk trying there is a resets menu in the hidden menu. The first level is a partial reset. If partial reset isn't helpful full reset and finally OOB ( out of box) reset maybe that will help.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I have tried both a full and partial reset and the same 'New, unused cartridges must be used for startup' message still appears

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.