Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

KEEP GETTING CARTRIDGE NOT DETECTED ERRORS

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@STUPID3 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting cartridge error.

Please follow the below steps and let us know the result.

Clean the ink cartridge contacts

1. Open the ink cartridge access door.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Remove an ink cartridge, clean the copper-colored contact, and then insert the ink cartridge into its slot.

Animation of removing, cleaning, and reinserting an ink cartridge

4. Repeat these steps for the other ink cartridges.

5. Make sure no ink cartridge is sticking out farther than the other ink cartridges.

6. Close the ink cartridge access door.

7. Try to print.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

HP Recommended

I cleaned both the contacts on the cartridges and the print head and the printer still says there are print head problems. What's next?

HP Recommended

cleaning the cartridges and the print head did not solve the problem. I'm still getting a print head not detected error although I can check the ink levels so that tells me it's communicating with the cartridges just not printing.

HP Recommended

@STUPID3

Thank you for the update.

Please reset the printer and check.

Reset the printer to recover from printer failures.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

5. Turn the printer on.

Please install the ink cartridges one by one.

If the issue still persists, replace the ink cartridges and check.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

tried as suggested and disconnected the printer after first removing the cartridges then reconnected the power supply and turned the printer on and reinstalled the cartridges and it still can't see the cartridges. Anything else I can try or is it time to buy a new printer? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.