Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ExamHP8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have an hp 8620 printer that has worked fine for  years.  Yesterday it began printing multiple lines for each line in a printout, then dies out before everything is printed.    It does this when I am printing from my computer, when I am copying, or when I ask for a printer summary .

I updated the software from HP website, but that didn't help.

When I try to update the firmware, it locates the printer, but in the status it says "not applicable."

Is there anyway this can be fixed, or should I just toss the printer.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dweano

Thanks for keeping me posted

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need assistance

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dweano

Are the lines horizontal or vertical?

I suggest you try cleaning the Printhead and let me know if that works

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Tools, and then touch Tools.

4. Touch Clean Printhead.

NOTE: Mechanical noises during the cleaning process are normal.
  5. When the first cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the other cleaning stages. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the second cleaning stage.

6. When the second cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the last cleaning stage. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the last cleaning stage.

7. When the last cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Touch OK, and then examine the test page for print quality.

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I wish it was as simple as cleaning the print heads.  Obviously, I didn't describe the problem correctly.  Here's a view of a printed test page that I got with the sick printer:

printout from hp8620.jpg

HP Recommended

@dweano

Do you experience the same issue when making Photocopies?

This seems to be a Hardware issue. If the issue persists while making Photocopies, please contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes it does exist with copying.  This printer is 5 1/2 years old and I have an 8610 that I can use the ink on.  My solution is to junk this printer and order a new one.  I suspect this is much cheaper than sending it in for repair.

HP Recommended

@dweano

Thanks for keeping me posted

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need assistance

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.