Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have always used HP cartridges in this printer and no cartridge replacement was made to cause this error. Everything was working until I tried to print something this weekend and got this message, "remove and check the right cartridge". I followed the intructions and even cleaned the cartridge before reinserting it. I cannot get the error message to turn off, now.

I tried unplugging the unit. And I tried to to locate a patch after confirming that I have all the latest drivers. So, I tried this one from HP that says... " resolves certain print cartridge rejection and scanner failure error messages" That patch is located here... But, each time I try, another error message comes up. It says, "The update software did not locate an eligible hp psc 1600 series unit to update". I bought this new product from Staples and it is definately an HP product.

There is no reason for this failure like using funky ink or anything... wtf? Any assistance is greatly appreciated (please)!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended
So... how can I remove the error message, "remove and check the right cartridge". My printer will not function no matter what I have tried. I know one of you has some ideas 🙂
HP Recommended
a little help? please?
HP Recommended
bump
HP Recommended

HELP - PSC 1610 ( REMOVE AND CHECK COLOR CARTRIDGE )!   I'm in DEEP Hurts!

Unemployed and trying to get my RESUMES out to the buisness world.   All in 1 Copier

has been working fine 2+ Years.  Then today ( Plop ), doesn't work - when I need to copy

Resumes.  Have it hooked up to a Windows / VISTA; Tried the 5 out of 6 step fixes that

HP suggests ( 1,3,4,5 + 6 ).  Just won't work.  A 9 lso, went out and bought 4 cartridges

( 2 Color and 2 Black ) to have for my Resumes < ~$140.00 >.  Now I can NOT get the

( REMOVE AND CHECK COLOR CARTRIDGES ) off of the Copier screen - it won't be

removed!  I even tried to print / copy with just the BLACK, won't comply, NOT without a

Color carteidge in the other slot.  HP Tech Support wants $75.00+ and without a good

guarentee it will work, if they can even come up with somehting!   HELP - PLEASE.

HP Recommended

I was receiving the same error message (right after an error message that my scanner was no longer reading).  The patch also wasn't working for me.  So, what I did was:  1.  I uninstalled the printer software & then reinstalled it.  2.  I replaced the color cartidge.  After that my printer was back to normal. It also fixed my scanner issues.

This was very frustrating considering I don't make color copies (I can't remember the last color copy I made) and that this cartidge error makes it so you can't use the PSC for anything.

HP Recommended

OK, I am an idiot.  How do I easily uninstall and reinstall the software?

HP Recommended

Hi atlasmap,

Uninstalling and reinstalling how to's will depend on the software and connection type, here is a link to get you started.

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
I work on behalf of HP.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

check right cartridge print problem hp 1610

To enter the hidden diagnostic mode of the HP PSC 1610:

tap both arrow keys simultaneously.

tap the left arrow key.
tap the OK key.
tap the left arrow key. At this point, you enter the "Service" menu,
scroll to special reports using right arrow key hit ok
scroll to print cartridges using right arrow key hit ok add paper, the print cartridges will reset.

The printer should say ready....

HP Recommended

Great to know how to fix this problem.  Of course I tossed that printer in the recycle long ago since I couldn't find a way to make it work.  It was easily worth the $100 cost of replacement to avoid the frustration of fighting this problem repeatedly.  If this solution works then why wasn't it available a year ago when I started having the problem.  I tried all the other remedies and all of them just wasted my time and increased my frustration. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.