Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PSC 1400 series

Running PSC1410 on Windows 10 laptop and PC (both x64) without any problems switching between them. However now get printer offline when trying to print. Checking everything is ok, drivers, connection etc but no way luck to get printer to work. Tried uninstalling, using various HP help remedies. Can anyone confirm if the latest W10 update will allow these PSCs to work; plus any solutions, please.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@MDS10

Welcome to HP support community.

How is the printer connected to the computer for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Via a USB connection from either my laptop or desktop PC,  depending which of them I amusing at the time. They are not networked. Believe PSC 1400 series can only be used with cable.

Thanks for your email.

MDS

HP Recommended

@MDS10

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy,

Thanks for your latest. Unfortunately this has not worked - have tried similar several times previously. Downloading PSC1400 series full features software and drivers from HP Customer Support which detects W10 64-bit all goes ok. However printing attempts do not produce a copy. Message is printer offline. Using the troubleshooter states no problems. The Scan Doctor only tells me to connect USB cable. Again PSC just remains silent. Have tried various cables, all of which work when hooked to a Canon printer.

All was well up to about a month ago. Used the PSC on either PC or laptop (which are not networked together).

Have checked via Driver Booster 7 which does not include HP1400 series - despite its mention as part of download. Could this be the problem? No warning message included when troubleshooting.

Alternatively, I suspect Windows 10 continuous updates. Currently running latest - 1909, installed in January. Understand this brought a variety of problems to users including some with printers.

Shame, as the elderly 1410 is an excellent machine. Connect it, fire it up and a copy delivered in 20 seconds. Later Canon model whirs and grinds and manages to do a head clean every time it's used. Several minutes later plus expensive ink drain a page is forthcoming!

Thanks again for your interest.

MDS

HP Recommended

@MDS10

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Have followed your instructions, which basically I have tried several times previously. No luck, just tells me all is installed. Then message to power up machine and connect USB. So basically am in a loop! Also using the printui.exe /s, drivers tab reveals PSC1400 not loaded. That's it in a nutsheel. Am beginning to think of giving up. No problem manually printing copies, so nothing wrong with machine - just connection online.

My thoughts are still with a glitch caused by previous Windows 10 updates. Alternatively is there a finite overall number of copies possible from the machine? Although last sentence in previous paragraph suggests not reached yet if so.

All best,

MDS10

HP Recommended

@MDS10 Before you give up, here's something that should help resolve this issue,

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: Click here

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately does not help! Followed your instructions only to arrive at nothing will print. Troubleshooter conclusions does not offer anything that I have not done previously; seem to be in a loop.

Print server properties has drivers for PSC1400 installed. Test page is in print queue, status is printing but nothing happens.

MDS 10

HP Recommended

@MDS10

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.