Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi together,

i've a problem with our hp laserjet P2055dn printers and hope that anyone can help - HP support didn't!

After the last Firmwareupdate (20120615 from 20090430) the complete counters are set to 0 - i couldn't believed it, until i checked the other printers (5 of 20) witch were updated - all the same, 0 Pages printed.

We need the counter for internal calculating, an so it is horrible that the counter is lost. I ask HP-Hotline what i can do, so she said "the problem is unknown....why do you need the counter, there is no need.."!!!

Ok, in the web there exists a lot of pages, exactly with that problem - they use PJL commands to reprogram the Printer. I've tryed, but failed.

My last hope is the forum here, that anyone had the same problem and solved it succesfully - so please let me know, how you did it.... :-))

Greetings 

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IT DOES COMPUTE!

Bevore i give up - the beast in me force me to do one more attempt... and suprise suprise it does compute.

What i did is:

1. connect the printer and make a share (hp-2055)

2. redirect the LPT1: to the share (net use lpt1: \\Workstation-IP\hp-2055)

3. send with copy <command> LPT1 the ESC command (ESC%-12345X@PJL), the ESC is generated in DOS with CTRL+P + ESC

@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=HPBOISEID
@PJL SET PAGES=15025
@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=EXIT
@PJL RESET

5. send again the ESC-part (ESC%-12345X)

6. Printing the config page and get a big smile :-))

In this case the PAGES are entered decimal - no changing in hex was needed, also a value above 200000 was correctly set.

Thanks a lot, this was a heavy one (just for me....)

Best regards

Thomas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

>> ... in the web there exists a lot of pages, exactly with that problem - they use PJL commands to reprogram the Printer.

Can you provide a link to one of those, and details of the PJL commands which are supposed to resolve the issue.

>> ... I've tryed, but failed.

Just what (exactly) did you try, and in what way did it fail?

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I couldn't say where exactly i found them - i googled and found  some links. But i get the PJL reference guide with all the comands and usage of them - sounds good for me....  

What i've try is this (...is also listed in the tech guide for HP, see attachment):

ESC%-12345X@PJL

@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=HPBIOSID
@PJL SET PAGES=12345
@PJL RESET

ESC%-12345X

all comands in a file named "counter"

I send this file via copy counter /b >PRN:

Maybe this comands are not guilty for P2050!?

What happened - nothing changed, that's the problem....

Any idea?

HP Recommended

I've no idea whether or not the SERVICEMODE command is valid or not.

One thing to check: are you replacing the place-holder text ESC with an Escape character (the character with decimal code 27, or hexadecimal 1B), as per the attached .prn file (disguised with an extra .txt extension in order to be able to attach it here).

HP Recommended

Hi.

The ESC text is replaced with the corresponding code - there are different options, i used STRG-P + ESC for the usage in WIndows XP command line EDIT.

I've found the discussion link, Page count resetr - wow, it's the same forum.. 🙂

But i will try the typo of "SERVICEMODE=", i guess it could by "SERVICE MODE=" 

thx for now

HP Recommended

>> ... i used STRG-P + ESC for the usage in WIndows XP command line EDIT ...

I thought that the combination was Ctrl-P + Esc within DOS edit.

In any case, the file attached to my earlier response has the correct (hexadecimal 1B) characters.

>> ... typo of "SERVICEMODE=", i guess it could by "SERVICE MODE="  ...

I don't think that will make any difference - when PJL commands are processed, white space is removed.

HP Recommended

>> ... I send this file via copy counter /b >PRN:

A friend has pointed out that using redirection to PRN: in the command may not be valid, and the command may therefore not have actually sent anything to the target printer.

If I use this format of command within a command-prompt session on my (Windows 😎 system, I get an error: "The system cannot find the file specified".

I'd normally expect to use the command with a format like:

copy /b myfile.prn LPT1:

where:

myfile.prn is the pathname of the file containing the PJL command print job.

LPT1: is the standard name for (the first) parallel-port; on most modern systems (which don't have such ports), the copy command would be preceded by a net use command to redirect the pseudo-parallel-port to a Windows printer instance, via its share name; e.g.:

net use LPT1: \\pc-name\share-name

where:

pc-name is the name of the workstation.

share-name is the Windows printer share name (preferably of 8 characters or less).

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for help,

i guess the problem could not be solved by my self this way. All suggested steps i have done, but nothing changed. The problem exists until now with 4 printers, so the need to do this isn't so important to spend too much time :-)) 

Best regards

Thomas

HP Recommended

IT DOES COMPUTE!

Bevore i give up - the beast in me force me to do one more attempt... and suprise suprise it does compute.

What i did is:

1. connect the printer and make a share (hp-2055)

2. redirect the LPT1: to the share (net use lpt1: \\Workstation-IP\hp-2055)

3. send with copy <command> LPT1 the ESC command (ESC%-12345X@PJL), the ESC is generated in DOS with CTRL+P + ESC

@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=HPBOISEID
@PJL SET PAGES=15025
@PJL RESET

5. send again the ESC-part (ESC%-12345X)

6. Printing the config page and get a big smile :-))

In this case the PAGES are entered decimal - no changing in hex was needed, also a value above 200000 was correctly set.

Thanks a lot, this was a heavy one (just for me....)

Best regards

Thomas

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.