Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet 5740 e all in one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to find the experts today to help me remove a paper jam at the back of my printer.  It is inaccessible and the back appears to be factory sealed, unlike other printers which have a removable back.  Hope I have found the right place.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can access paper jams from the bottom of the printer, instead of the rear/back:

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. While the printer is still on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer, and then unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
     WARNING:
    You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid the risk of injuries or electric shock.
  4. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer, if you have a cable connection to the printer.
  5. Turn the printer onto its right side so you can access its underside. Make sure to hold the printer firmly with one hand to avoid tipping.
    Figure : Turn the printer onto its right side
    Image: Turn the printer onto its right side
  6. Use a flashlight to check the surface directly under and around where the printer sits for the following:
    • Pieces of paper trapped in the input tray
    • Small, hard objects, such as cables, pens, pencils, and books
    • Soft or uneven surfaces, such as placemats or carpet-like material
  7. Remove any obstructions that might remain.
  8. Push in the input tray, and then turn the printer over to the upright position.
  9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then plug in the power cord to an electrical outlet.
  10. Reconnect the USB or Ethernet cable, unless your printer is connected to a wireless network.
  11. Turn on the printer.
    The printer might go through a warm-up period and the carriage might move. Wait until the warm-up period finishes before you proceed.
-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the paper jam on your Officejet 5740 printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow this link below and see if this helps you out

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-5740-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617253/document/c...

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!

Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

Best Wishes

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can access paper jams from the bottom of the printer, instead of the rear/back:

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. While the printer is still on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer, and then unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
     WARNING:
    You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid the risk of injuries or electric shock.
  4. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer, if you have a cable connection to the printer.
  5. Turn the printer onto its right side so you can access its underside. Make sure to hold the printer firmly with one hand to avoid tipping.
    Figure : Turn the printer onto its right side
    Image: Turn the printer onto its right side
  6. Use a flashlight to check the surface directly under and around where the printer sits for the following:
    • Pieces of paper trapped in the input tray
    • Small, hard objects, such as cables, pens, pencils, and books
    • Soft or uneven surfaces, such as placemats or carpet-like material
  7. Remove any obstructions that might remain.
  8. Push in the input tray, and then turn the printer over to the upright position.
  9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then plug in the power cord to an electrical outlet.
  10. Reconnect the USB or Ethernet cable, unless your printer is connected to a wireless network.
  11. Turn on the printer.
    The printer might go through a warm-up period and the carriage might move. Wait until the warm-up period finishes before you proceed.
-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Thank you but I have been through that entire routine.  It does not solve the problem of inaccessibility at the back of the printer.  It is factory sealed, without the usual back door access.  

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is not a way to clear a jam from the rear of the printer. I suggest contacting HP support for further options.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  

HP Recommended
How did it go with contacting support? I am in the same predicament with the paper jame in the factory sealed area. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.