Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My Officejet J4550 displays 'clear paper jam' and there is no jam.  I have followed the instructions to clear a jam twice (even though there isn't one), uninstalled & attempted to reinstall the software I downloaded from the Website.  It still says there is a paper jam.  Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it is still under warranty it is time to contact HP.  If it is out of warranty, its probably time for a new printer.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It may be a stuck switch flag in the printer.  Remove the rear door and look around in there with a flashlight.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Went deep into the back of the printer with a flashlight & everything looks in order.  What now?

HP Recommended

If it is still under warranty it is time to contact HP.  If it is out of warranty, its probably time for a new printer.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I am a different user than who made the original problem input, but had the same problem.

I also had tried going through all of the recommended "paper jam" correction procedures at least 3 or 4 times, found no jammed paper anywhere, but they still did not correct the problem. I found this post, but was not sure what the "switch flag" was. I manually moved both the white lever switch just right of middle and the black switch near the far left up and down a few times and restarted the printer. The "paper jam" error that had been consistently appearing every time the printer was turned on for the past week did not reappear. I have now printed a few pages successfully without any more errors. I will have to wait to see if/when the error occurs again. 

My recommendations:

1) To the HP employee:  When responding, it would be helpful if you explained what the "switch flag" looks like or provided a picture. Thanks for providing this tip as it was the only one I could find beyond the standard HP troubleshooting procedures.

2) To HP technical support documentation group:  Please add the approved procedure for checking/"fixing" this "switch flag" (with a picture of the switch) as an additional step beyond the four you already provide before recommending that service is the next step or to just replace the printer with a new one.

Best regards,

DBouldin

HP Recommended

Hello.  Receiving the paper jam error message. I too tried all the soluctions HP had; and went to the Forum to seek help.

Can you tell me where the switch flag is located? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.