Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am continuing to print successfully wirelessly, but guess what?  I am still getting the "paper tray empty" message. So maybe the message and the problem were not connected. Maybe your guess is right, Enzo!

HP Recommended

Same happens to me too.

I inserted 6 sheets of Photopaper and after a reset in the macs preferences and installing the drivers in  the preferences window, the message did not come again (When i only did the softreset in preferences, without filling the phototray, the message disappeared only temporary.)

HP Recommended

Please correct me if i am wrong: There is no description about this message in the manual , leaving us in doubt about this message!

HP Recommended

I was having the same problem -- "Paper tray is empty" was appearing in OSX and I couldn't print.

I think the problem went away when I switched to the second instance of my printer (automatically named ..."-2") that I already had installed on my Mac.  I CAN print using that one, EVEN with the "Paper tray is empty" warning.

It seems that in my situation the paper tray warning message was unrelated to being able to print.

The "Paper tray is empty" warning went away when I put paper in the photo paper tray.

This is odd, since I've been using my printer for about 6 months and it never before cared that the photo paper tray was empty.  Now it does, so I keep paper in it.

I don't know what's different about my second instance of the printer.  But using that one seemed to do the trick...  for now.

HP Recommended

I was having the same problem -- "Paper tray is empty" was appearing in OSX and I couldn't print.
I think the problem went away when I switched to the second instance of my printer (automatically named ..."-2") that I already had installed on my Mac. I CAN print using that one, EVEN with the "Paper tray is empty" warning.

It seems that in my situation the paper tray warning message was unrelated to being able to print.

The "Paper tray is empty" warning went away when I put paper in the photo paper tray.
This is odd, since I've been using my printer for about 6 months and it never before cared that the photo paper tray was empty. Now it does, so I keep paper in it.

I don't know what's different about my second instance of the printer. But using that one seemed to do the trick... for now.

HP Envy 7640

HP Recommended

What do you mean by second instance; May be u set up the printer twice without deleting the first setting?

HP Recommended

Yes, that's what I mean.  I set it up twice.  But I've been using the first one since I had the printer.  When I switched to the "-2" it doesn't have the problem.

HP Recommended

maybe another driver in second setup or a failure in installation

HP Recommended

You are my hero!!

It worked after installing the printer a second time and making the "new" printer the default. printer.

Thank you so much!!

HP Recommended

this is the worst UX I have ever had ..... brand new printer, why should we all be wasting our time with absurd partial re-sets and soft re-sets and indeed spending useful time on this forum?  Mac is a universal device, works with pretty much everything except apparantly HP.

I didn't buy this pretty but apparantly useless heap of junk in order to waste my time, I actually wanted some printing done.  I will never buy an HP product again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.