6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

HP OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP OfficeJet 4650.  The other day I printed something for the first time and the paper jammed.  Disappointing.  I opened up the inside and after much struggle I think I removed all the pieces of paper.  It wasn't easy.  Then I closed it back up and it gave me a warning that the paper tray was open.  So I push in the paper try and it pops right back open by a few millimeters.  Why won't it stay closed?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4,080 4,028 209 167
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

@DallasSteve

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here as it helps in removing any stored static electricity from the Printer which might be causing these issues.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  5. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  7. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  10. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, try connecting the Printer to a different wall outlet directly.

Check for obstructions inside the input tray. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
DallasSteve Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

Betty

Thanks for the tip.  I tried turning the printer off and on like you suggested.  At first the tray still wouldn't close.  Then I removed the paper and reloaded the paper and it closed.  Maybe I didn't have the paper in correctly, I'm not sure.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4,080 4,028 209 167
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

@DallasSteve

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Ramaswami Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

The suggested solution worked. Thank you very much. But this solution was not suggested by the HP support team who were interacting with me for the last five days.

0 Kudos
DallasSteve2 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

For me it's not working again.  I turned on the power, unplugged the printer, waited 60 seconds, plugged it back in, and the printer tray still won't close.  There is no paper jam, just a poorly designed printer.  I've never had problems with cheap printers, only with this slightly more expensive HP.  No more HP for me.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,361 10,170 685 664
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paper tray won't close

@DallasSteve2

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation