Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP OfficeJet 4650.  The other day I printed something for the first time and the paper jammed.  Disappointing.  I opened up the inside and after much struggle I think I removed all the pieces of paper.  It wasn't easy.  Then I closed it back up and it gave me a warning that the paper tray was open.  So I push in the paper try and it pops right back open by a few millimeters.  Why won't it stay closed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DallasSteve

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here as it helps in removing any stored static electricity from the Printer which might be causing these issues.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  5. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  7. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  10. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, try connecting the Printer to a different wall outlet directly.

Check for obstructions inside the input tray. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DallasSteve

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here as it helps in removing any stored static electricity from the Printer which might be causing these issues.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  5. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  7. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  10. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, try connecting the Printer to a different wall outlet directly.

Check for obstructions inside the input tray. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty

Thanks for the tip.  I tried turning the printer off and on like you suggested.  At first the tray still wouldn't close.  Then I removed the paper and reloaded the paper and it closed.  Maybe I didn't have the paper in correctly, I'm not sure.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DallasSteve

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The suggested solution worked. Thank you very much. But this solution was not suggested by the HP support team who were interacting with me for the last five days.

HP Recommended

For me it's not working again.  I turned on the power, unplugged the printer, waited 60 seconds, plugged it back in, and the printer tray still won't close.  There is no paper jam, just a poorly designed printer.  I've never had problems with cheap printers, only with this slightly more expensive HP.  No more HP for me.

HP Recommended

@DallasSteve2

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

After banging my head on the wall trying to fix this I started looking at posted solutions. The most recent didn't help, but I found one from 2 years ago that worked FINALLY! First, I'm sorry to relate that the OfficeJet 9012 is made with very flimsy, hard to operate pieces, like catches on drawers and the like.  The releases aren't clearly marked nor are they indicated in any of the guides you get when you buy the printer.  THE FIX:  First remove the paper catch plate sitting on top of the paper tray. It has two very small indentations on the upper edges you need to GENTLY press down and it will come out. When i first tried to get this sucker out, both releases shot off their housings across the room. Then, again GENTLY pull out the durn paper retaining tray as far as you can and tilt the whole machine and set it on its RIGHT side. I found that there was a whole sheet of paper caught in the back of the paper transfer system that I couldn't see any other way and that was the problem!  A bear to get out, but once I did the machine went back to proper working order and the "Paper Tray Open" sign went away. Hope this works for you and whoever was the design engineer for this machine has nothing to be proud of lemme tell you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.