Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 230

I know this is an older model; but it was working. Now every time I go to print all it keeps telling me is paper jam. There's not much to these so I don't understand. Is there anything I can do to get it to actual print? I've been through all the troubleshooting steps. I figure before I take my last step of throwing it out a window I would try this..

Thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Chris2721

Welcome to HP support community.

Cleaning the paper flags with a cotton swab and water may correct this issue. To do this, follow the steps below.

1. Ensure that paper is loaded in the input tray, then open the paper tray door.

2. Two white flags will be visible in the indicated area shown in the graphic below. If only one flag is visible, ensure that paper is loaded in the input tray.

Figure : Location of the white paper flags

3. Slightly dampen a cotton swab or Q-tip with tap water.

4. Gently wipe the exposed flags and the black plastic surrounding it. Be careful to not flood the area with water, as this could damage the printer.

NOTE: 

Try to not leave any cotton fibers on the flags or the surrounding areas, as this can also cause the flags to stick.

5. If possible, lightly spray the flags and surrounding areas with a can of compressed air to dry the surfaces before using the printer. Cans of compressed air are available at most electronics or photography supply stores.

6. Try printing a photo to verify that the flags no longer stick.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.