Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy Photo 7134 All-In-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just purchased an HP Envy Photo 7134 AIO Printer to replace a Photosmart C7280 Printer.

I'm now confused that unlike previously, I can only select 'Photo Paper' and there's no choice to select 'Premium Plus' or 'Advanced' or 'Glossy' or 'Matte'.  How does the printer know, or doesn't it matter for some reason?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@graham_jester

In the new printer driver/app, there have been changes made to ease the efforts of the customers.

You may choose 'HP Photo paper' and try printing on the various types of photo papers you have.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @graham_jester

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• What type of photo paper are you using?
  • Have you installed the full-featured driver on the PC or are you using the HP Smart app to print?

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

You may select from the options available to select the correct paper size and paper type.

Once you load the photo papers in the printer and close the tray, you will get a prompt on the printer screen to select the paper type.

Refer to this document to know how to load the photo papers.

To know how to print photos from a Win PC using the full-featured driver, click here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

Thank you for your interest.

In answer to your queries, I'm using both HP Premium Plus Glossy Paper and HP Advanced Glossy Paper and do also have some HP Premium Plus Satin Matte and Semi Gloss.

I have also downloaded both HP Smart and the full-featured driver.

My dilemma is that, unlike options available with my previous Photosmart C7280 AIO Printer, using either App there only seems to be one choice for HP photo paper and that's 'HP Photo Papers', with no ability to select 'Premium Plus' or 'Advanced', nor 'Matte' nor 'Glossy'.

Given that my Photosmart printer is some 10 years old, is it perhaps the case that the new HP Envy Photo 7134 AIO Printer has some other inbuilt way of sensing the type of photo paper and therefore all it needs to know is that it's HP Photo Paper?

All of that said there is the other option of 'Other Photo Inkjet Papers', but I assume that's for non-HP Photo paper? I would welcome your further comments on this situation. Thanks Graham

HP Recommended

@graham_jester

In the new printer driver/app, there have been changes made to ease the efforts of the customers.

You may choose 'HP Photo paper' and try printing on the various types of photo papers you have.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

Many thanks for your further informative feedback.

So all the printer needs to know is that it's 'HP Photo Paper' and it takes care of the rest?

Currently I've only been using HP Premium Plus Photo Paper, but now I've just obtained some HP Advanced Photo Paper, so I'll now carry out some tests on both and let you know the results.

Best Regards

Graham

HP Recommended

@graham_jester

Sure, keep us posted for any other assistance. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

I have now carried out two printing tests on A4 HP photo paper. 

One using HP Premium Plus Glossy and HP Advanced Glossy and the other using HP Premium Plus Matte and HP Advanced Glossy.

In all printed results the images look identical in terms of colours and the only very slight noticeable difference is the fact that in both cases the Advanced paper images look a touch brighter and sharper.

I should add that my printer is being used in conjunction with Adobe Lightroom and within its Print Module you can select 'Glossy' or 'Matte', so that takes care of that paper selection concern.

Also I'm pleased to see that these HP Envy Photo 7134 All-In-One Printer results look as good as those achieved with my previous HP Photosmart  C7280 All-In-One Printer.

So many thanks for your help, Kumar.

I don't know whether it's possible, but I would still like to understand a little more as to how this printer is able to remove the need to define the photo paper type.

Best Regards

Graham

HP Recommended

@graham_jester

Engineers in HP have made changes to the software and apps to ease customer efforts and hence the paper sensors in the printer are now able to detect the type of paper automatically without you having to choose what type of photo paper is loaded.

Keep us posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

Many thanks for the further explanation of the printer technology.

That's excellent!

Best Regards

Graham

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.