Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Printing color photos on 4x6 photo paper and the quality is very poor. Very muddy and flat look. Lacks vibrant and sharp look that I had on older HP printer (which had photo black ink). Brand new printer. All test pages (of solid colors) print perfectly. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please make sure you are selecting the proper Photo Paper type in the driver settings.  The pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If you select the proper paper type the printer will use color inks to print even black areas.  The quality will be much better with the proper settings.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm using HP 4 x 6 photo paper, so my printer setting is for photo paper. Is that correct? Printer has 4 inks: black, yellow, cyan and magenta. No photo black ink. 

HP Recommended

What is your printer model?  What HP Photo paper are you using - HP Everyday Photo, HP Premium, HP Premium Plus, HP Advanced or ?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Not sure this went through. Printer is Office Jet Pro 8025. Paper is HP glossy everday photo paper 4 x 6. 

HP Recommended

Hmm...  the Officejet Pro printers user pigmented black and color inks.  Unfortunately, pigmented inks are not very compatible with glossy photo paper.  While you do not need a printer with Photo Black ink you would get much better results on glossy media with a printer that has dye based colors.  Any Envy, Photosmart or Deskjet printer would have pigmented black ink and dye based color inks.

If a different printer is not an option you might experiment with some different paper types. HP Advanced glossy paper may be the best choice, a 25 sheet pack is under $7 with free next day shipping, it may be worth checking it out.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks I think I will return it and try a different model. (Just bought it on Friday.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.