Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5644
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just bought this printer today.  When printing on plain paper, it prints absolutely fine.  When printing photos it uses a ridiculous amount of ink so that the paper is still wet several hours later and so smudged it's not recognisable.  I am using the HP photo paper included with the printer and the cartridges that came with it.  If i can't get this resolved I'm going to take it back to the store for a refund.

I'm getting the same problem when printing from Windows 10 as printing from my iPad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am using HP Advanced Photo Paper, it came with the printer.  I went through the process of re-loading the paper and checking the configuration of the printer.  I realised that I had previously inserted the paper upside down, so it was printing on the reverse of the paper (my previous printer had the photo paper loaded from the rear so it was the other way round).  Once corrected, the prints are fine.  Thank you for your help - I'm glad that my muppetry was resolved before I took the printer back to the store which would have been even more embarassing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TomCh

If you have not done so, remember to set the "Media" type as well as the paper size.

Reference:

Printing Preferences

All photo papers are NOT the same, you may be using a photo paper that is not ideal for that printer.

You might try HP Advanced Photo Paper

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am using HP Advanced Photo Paper, it came with the printer.  I went through the process of re-loading the paper and checking the configuration of the printer.  I realised that I had previously inserted the paper upside down, so it was printing on the reverse of the paper (my previous printer had the photo paper loaded from the rear so it was the other way round).  Once corrected, the prints are fine.  Thank you for your help - I'm glad that my muppetry was resolved before I took the printer back to the store which would have been even more embarassing.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear the problem is resolved @TomCh

BTW the comment about 'muppetry' gave me a giggle, cheers 🙂

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.