Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7855 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So the printer is functional except I cant send a picture with my phone to it and have it print on the spot!

I was at a function taking pictures of dinner guests and trying to print from my android phone and the tray options showed the "main tray" as available to print from but the photo tray was grey and unavailable! I got my prints but I had to

put 4x6 photo paper in the 8.5 x 11 tray and that worked but I had to push my photo paper by hand to the back of the tray so it butted up against the end and bring the side sliders in to the 4x6 dimension. anyone else experience this? Little Help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Subsett77

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that while printing photos on 4x6 photo paper, the option to select the photo tray is grayed out. And you have to print from the main tray on your HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you using any specific app to print from?

Have you tried the HP Smart app?

What version of Android OS do you have on the phone?

Meanwhile, you may use the HP Print Service Plugin to print from your Android phone. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Again, I'm seeing people have the same problems, and I'm not seeing solutions. 

I have the exact same issue.

Using HP Smart app to print via an Android phone.  NOT THAT AN ANDROID PHONE OR ITS ANDROID VERSION MATTERS THOUGH, BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IN ON THE PRINTER!

Please enlighten us as to WHY an version of Android affects what the printer photo tray size options on the printer are.  <eyeroll>

HP Recommended

THIS IS HOW YOU PROVIDE SUPPORT -

In my case, I was on an Android phone, and printing via the HP Smart app.

In the HP Smart app, click on the picture of your printer (not real obvious as an option). This will then take you to a printer status display.

Under Preferences, there is a Tray and Paper option. Click on that, and it will connect to the printer itself. If you happen to know your local IP address of your printer, you can just enter it into a browser on your PC to get to a management page).

Disregard and move on/accept through any security warnings about unsigned certificates (it's all a local connection on your own network between your own devices).

Here, you can finally edit the photo paper tray size.

If you entered the IP address of your printer into your browser, after accepting all of the security warnings and certificates, you'll get to the home page of your printer.

Click on SETTINGS from the top bar, and then Tray and Paper Management from the left bar.

Change the photo try size here.

Jesus, HP. Could you make this more of a pain in the ass? Why is the option grayed out to begin with? Your system obviously isn't determining the paper size. So why can't we change it from the printer screen itself? Ugggh.

Hope this helps someone, unlike HP's lackluster support.  😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.