Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

No, I doubt your router has IPv6 enabled and if it did  you would know it.   Did you set a static IP on that same page with Google DNS?  Is the statc IP still set?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Yes, the static IP that was setup is still there.

I took a quick look through the router menu but didn't see anything anything about IPv4 or IPv6. Not sure where I'd find it.

The router is a from Frontier but actually it's a Netgear 7850.

HP Recommended

The Netgear 7850 should be IPv4 only. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Looks like I'm down to final options regarding this problem. The replacement printer that HP sent out had the same connectivity problems.  They have pretty much given up on the situation by offering to have me send back one of the printers and keep or return the other to HP after obtaining a RMA number. They seem to think it's some sort of router issue.

I like the other features of the printer and hated to let it go, so I decided to live without web service connectivity. I can get a connection when the printer is first turned on, but not 100% of the time.

I decided to give your manual IP instructions another go just one more time.

I may have been making a mistake on the previous attempt when I used the printer's actual IP address as the static IP address in the manual configuration. I let configuration page "suggest" a setting by clicking on the button below the boxes.

The only thing it really changed were the last two digits of the printer IP. It suggested I use "253". So I did.

I once again entered the preferred and alternate DNS IP using those Google addresses.

As it stands now these are my manual configuration settings:

IP Adress Configuration
Manual IP
Manual IP Adress: 192.168.254.253
Manual Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Manual Default Gateway: 192.168.254.254

DNS Address Configuration
Manual DNS Server
Manual Preferred DNS Server 8.8.8.8
Manual Alternate DNS Server 8.8.4.4

Now I'm just waiting to see if the printer remains connected to Web Services over an extended period of time.

HP Recommended

Good job!   I would recommend another IP address - not close to 254 - perhaps instead of 253 you could try 125.

Yes, this certainly seems like a router issue - especially if it is a router issued by your ISP.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the printer lost it's connection to web services somewhere between the point of my last mesage and just now. The router is from my ISP, but it's supposedly a netgear. I had an issue with speed for a while and the tech came into my home and setup a new router and used Netgear as the name of the router, even though it doesn't appear anywhere else on the external surfaces of the router.

I'll give 125 a try. I hate to give up on a problem.

HP Recommended

I changed the last digits of the manual printer IP to 125.

Sorry to say, that after 30 mins or so the printer lost it's connection the Web Services once again.

So I'll probably be bothering my ISP tech support again. I did previously talk to them about it. When I told them that my printer connected to the cloud, I got the impression they didn't quite understand. I had to explain it to them but I still got the feeling that they were quite sure what to do about it.

As I said earlier, I'm on a older DSL "routed bridge" service and that may be the root of all my problems.  I hope they get around to upgrading my area to PPOe service sometime soon, because I can then try to DMZ the printer, but that also requires me to disable the the Static NAT I just setup above.

HP Recommended

Until you get your own standard router it will probably not matter what your ISP brings you.  How about the prospect of getting your own router (Linksys, Netgear other brand name) and simply using that?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Eureaka! ...I think... I just got my new HP computer system setup and the tech person had problems getting the computer on to the network.

So he reset the router and then reconfigured it to pretty much the way it was before, except he changed the WPA2-AEK setting back to WAP. The ISP service tech setup my router when he delivered it because I was having slow speed issues with their service and he set it up for WAP2-AEK.

The new H9 Envy computer connected after changing it to just WAP. When he tested it and changed back to WAP2-AEK, the new computer immediately lost its connection to the router. So he reset it back to WAP.

I turned on my printer  after the change and so far the printer has remained connected to the web server for nearly 2.5 hours, more than twice as long as it ever has before.

Another oddity, is that when HP setup tech reset the router it mysteriously changed from "routed-bridge" and now shows PPPoE on the main router menu. So either there was something strange happening in the router or the ISP has suddenly upgraded their servers in the past two days, because they were still showing "routed-bridge" then.

I'm leaving my printer on over night to see if it remains connected to the web server now. So far it's looking good.

HP Recommended

That setting should have read "WPA" not "WAP" ... 🙂

The printer remained connected all night last night and all day today. So it looks like the router encryption setting was the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.