Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
PhotoSmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had a PhotoSmart C4780 for several years, I use it a lot; draining and replacing the ink carts several times a year.

Recently the black ink ran out. I bought a new "60" black cart from Walmart.

After installing the cart I went through the Alignment process like normal.

The alignment is way off (several mm). I removed and re-installed the ink cart. I went to HP ToolBox and manually Ran the Alignment procedure 2 more times and the alignment is still off.

What other things can I do? I depend on this printer and I can't use it with the alignment off like this.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@twistedsymphony,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the alignment after replacing the ink cartridge.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you align the cartridge and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. Open HP Solution Center:

2. In HP Solution Center, click Settings ().

3. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox. The Toolbox opens in a new window.

4. In the Toolbox, click the Device Services tab, and then click Align the Print Cartridges (). A dialog box displays.

5. In the dialog box, click Print Page. The product prints an alignment page.

Figure : The product prints an alignment page

Graphic: The product prints an alignment page
  6. Lift the scanner lid.

Figure : Lift the scanner lid

Graphic: Lift the scanner lid
  7. Place the alignment page with the print-side down on the right front corner of the scanner glass.

Figure : Position the alignment page on the scanner glass

Graphic: Position the alignment page on the scanner glass
  8. Close the scanner lid.

9. Touch OK on the product control panel. The product scans the alignment page and completes the alignment process.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette, I have followed your instructions through 3 times  and the alignment is still not correct.

HP Recommended

@twistedsymphony,

We need to perform a semi-full reset to fix this issue. However, as the steps to perform a semi-full reset are confidential and specific to your printer. I will be sending you a private message please watch your inbox for more information.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did not work, in-fact it has made my situation significantly worse.

I entered the menu as you suggested and did a "Semi-Full" Reset. It prompted me for language, and walked me through the alignment process again.

I then was no longer able to communicate with the printer over my network since the reset had wiped out my network settings. moving my laptop to the printer's location I tried to plug in with USB but none of the already-installed HP software could see the Printer over USB either.  so I unplugged USB, un-installed the software, rebooted, downloaded the software from the website and re-installed it, only plugging in USB once prompted.

I can now print over USB but the printer refuses to recognize my wireless network, despite the fact that my laptop is sitting right next to the printer and can connect to the network just fine (I was even able to download the driver using it).

Printing a test page over USB shows that THE ALIGNMENT IS STILL NOT CORRECT.

And now I have the added problem of not being able to print over the network from any of my other computers. I've spent the last two hours uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and the HP software simply refuses to see the wireless network

EDIT: installing the software to a different PC I was able to finally configure the wireless network settings, but the Alignment is still incorrect.

Is there any way to test if this is a problem with the ink cartridge?

HP Recommended

@twistedsymphony,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-c4700-all-in-one-printer-series/3794613/model/379...

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.