Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4480 printer

Hi, I have an HP Photosmart C4480 printer and have no problem printing on regular bond paper. I purchased HP Premium Plus Photo paper (soft gloss), which is labeled for use with all inkjet printers, to print some photos. However, the paper does not seem to pull through the printer when trying to print. Maybe a quarter of the sheet feeds into the printer but then stops. There is no "paper jam" warning and the ink cartridges do move as if printing, just without the photo paper. Don't understand why the printer cannot grip the paper (too thick or too smooth?). So, what photo papers can be used on this printer? thanks, jms

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@jms10, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the size of the photo paper you are using?

HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-One Printer can print on a  and 4 x 6 inches and 5 x 7 inches photo paper. To check the printer specifications/Paper-handling specifications, click here.

To know how to load a photo paper, refer to page 20 of the user guide.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. The photo paper size is 8.5x11. This size photo paper has worked before, and I've printed full page photos. When printing, the options given range from 4x6 to 8.5x11. I don't think the problem is with the printer, but the paper itself. It will not feed through the printer (regular bond paper goes through without problems). So has the thickness or surface quality of the HP paper changed (I just purchased this paper recently)? Any suggestions of which type photo paper would work? thank you, joan 

HP Recommended

@jms10

The thickness of the photo paper will be mentioned on the packaging. If you have any 4 x 6 inches or 5 x 7 inches photo paper, try printing and check if this works. By this, we can check if the printer's hardware is working fine.

Also, check the weight of the photo paper that you are using, the recommended/supported Paper weight is 67 lb. Bond

You may also try cleaning the paper feed rollers

Refer to step 3 mentioned in this document.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you again for the response. I've cleaned the paper feed rollers and tried smaller paper. Printing is inconsistent. Sometimes the paper feeds through and prints; other times it does not advance but the printer continues to print. A few times the paper advanced through the printer quickly without printing. I've also gotten a "filter" failure error, with the paper advancing only slightly into the printer. Again, there are no problems printing on regular bond paper, only the photo paper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you, joan

HP Recommended

@jms10

Which operating system is installed on your computer?

A filter failure error could be a software issue. However, as the printer is not able to pick the photo papers, seems like a hardware issue. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro, with Mojave 10.14.1.  Not sure if I would have the printer repaired, if that is what's needed, since it is  probably close to 10 years old.  I'll keep trying. Thanks, joan 

HP Recommended

Hi, just a quick update. I lightly sanded a small section of the back of the HP paper with a piece of sandpaper.  I was then able to print on a full 8.5x11 sheet with no paper jams or errors.

It's been a while since I've purchased photo paper. So maybe the surface of the back of the HP paper has changed,  to be more smooth? Preventing the printer feed rollers from gripping the sheet?  I also reinstalled the print drivers. Thanks for your help. Joan 

HP Recommended

@jms10

Glad to know that you took the initiative and found a workaround to be able to print. If you wish to buy or check the details of the HP Photo papers, click here

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.