Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5515
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Model Name:  Photosmart 5510 B111a       Firmware Version:  EPP1CN1832AR

Serial Number:  redacted       Service ID:  22179       IK Number:  797

Software Version:  028.000.1315.000       Printer Driver Version:  09.84.00.1173       

With new 564XL black cartridge my Photosmart 5515 printed fine for a few days, then began to fade.

There seems to be a problem with the printer itself, independent of the computer, network, etc. 

Using the printer's internal tool, from the control panel, Setup > Tools > Print Status Report  prints out only a bar graph of each color inside black brackets.  There are bars for each color, except black, inside black brackets. 

The ink cartridge level display, Setup > Tools > Estimated Ink Levels, shows plenty of black ink.

When attempting to copy, only colors are copied, not black. 

When printing from the computer, only colors are printed, not black. 

Power on/off and "Restore Factory Defaults" have made no difference. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chappybrown

Welcome to the HP Community

Did you try using a different ink cartridge?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then, click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-photosmart-5510-e-all-in-one-printer-series-b111/5053904/mod... for Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-photosmart-5510-e-all-in-one-printer-series-b111/5053904/mod...

Restart the printer.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried using two different genuine HP 564XL cartridges, recently purchased at Staples.  The printer behaves the same with either cartridge.  I may try an HP 564 instead, but need to make a trip to the store, again. However, I have used XL cartridges in the past, black and color, with no problems. 

I executed the Hard Reset procedure, followed by the firmware update.

The result of the firmware update was that the firmware was already up-to-date. 

The built-in Printer Status Report still shows brackets, printed in black, with only magenta, cyan, and yellow bars inside brackets, and nothing inside the black brackets where the black bar should be.  How is the printer able to print black brackets, but nothing else in black.  It seems that there should be an explanation based on hardware and/or firmware logic. 

Is it possible that this problem was introduced with a recent firmware update ?  Another user might have performed this without my knowledge.  Can I regress the firmware ?

HP Recommended

@chappybrown

There is no option to downgrade the printer firmware.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

Make sure you select the Country and Region.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.