Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 6100C
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Recently, when printing from my Mac to my Photosmart 6100c, the print queue shows that the computer is communicating with the printer, but the print job does not actually go to the printer. The print queue shows the percentage completed, normally no more than 24%, then the job will disappear from the print queue. The status window on the printer does not change during this process. Also, when turning the printer off, it goes through the shut down process completely, but then turns on again. 

I have reset the printer by unplugging it for more than 60 seconds, sometimes all night, and then plugging it back in. I have unplugged it from the wall, and have unplugged it from the back of the printer. I have changed from wireless to ethernet connection. I have used a new ethernet cable. I have hooked up to the network router, and directly to the Mac. All with the same results. I have deleted the printer from my Mac, reinstalled new driver and added it to my printers in the System preferences again. Same results.

I have however, discovered that if I send a job to print, then print a network status page from the printer, the job from the computer will then print. 

The network configuration page says;

General Information

Network Status; Ready

Active Connection Type: Wired

URL: http:// (lists my IP here)

Firmware Revision R0625MxNxxN0

Hostmane: HP913CD5

Admin Password: Not Set

mDNS: Photosmart C6100 series (913CD5)

Can you help me solve the issue so that I can print without first printing a network status page, and so I am able to shut down my printer without unplugging it?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Cdavis1220, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Is the printer connected to a public or a private network?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Have you tried installing the printer driver from the HP Support site?

If the issue persists, resetting the printer may help.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307. I am connected to a private network.

Following the instructions online, there was not a firmware update available. Likewise, the only Mac update available is to the next OS, Mac OS Catalina. I did download the driver from the HP site and installed it. I then restarted my computer. Sent a file to print, and same results. Print job stuck in the print queue, but printed after a network status page was printed from the printer setup menu.

I then followed the reset instructions sent to me. The printer started up and on screen was a message that I didn't get a chance to read all of, but it said something about being reset. Printer then went through a series of internal actions. Lots of clicking, buzzing and twirling. Screen on the printer gave an improper shutdown warning with instructions to press OK. However, nothing happened when I pressed OK. Message persisted.. So I hit the power button. Was presented with a message on the screen to hit the power button again, which I did. Printer started up again and went through its start up actions. Next message on screen is "Photo Tray problem" (lift output tray up, verify the photo tray is pushed in until it stops, lower output tray), press ok to continue. OK button returns the improper shutdown message. OK button again gives the standard screen and machine starts clicking, buzzing and spinning again, which stops after a short period. 

Sent same file to print again. Same results. Print queue says printing page1, 1% complete....Print network config page from printer screen, then file prints.

HP Recommended

@Cdavis1220

That's unfortunate. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.