Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i just got a new Photosmart 6510 e-all in one printer that works wirelessly.

i have a macbook pro that's updated to 10.7.2 (i think i'm at 2, or maybe 1). either way i'm on Lion

i saw that when i opened my printer it had a slip that said if i have lion, not to use the install disk that comes with it, but to use the one online, so i did.

i had to connect my printer via usb to my computer because after turning it on and connecting it to the wifi at my house and entering my password and connecting it and even having it saying that i'm connected to the network, it wouldn't show up if i tried printing from my laptop that's connected to the same wifi, or from my iphone 4 that's connected to my wifi.

so after i connected it with a usb and installed all the software and setting it up for wireless printing, during the instructions it tells me to unplug the usb cable (after it's told me that the printer is ready for wireless printing and it's connected and the printer is installed on the computer and everything). so i unplug the usb and then it says that it can not find the printer. it says to make sure my printer is connected to a network connection and that my computer is connected to the same connection and to click 'retry'.  they are both connected to the same wifi at my home, and it keeps making me press 'retry'

even looking on my printer, on the screen, if i go to wifi settings, it says it's connected to the wifi at my house.

and my computer is connected to the same wifi, and the wifi is working, because i'm able to be online.

i've tried doing all the troubleshooting that HP provided on their website, and i've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer about 4 times. i stayed up until 3am last night working on this and can still not get it to work.

if anyone could please help me out here. i'm one step away from taking a day off work so i can call HP and talk to them on the phone about it but i'm sure that will be a day long event.

when i have the printer connected via usb it works perfectly fine. everything works. but the second i unplug it, i can't find it on my computer and i can't find it on my iphone 4. but my computer is connected to the wifi, and my printer says it's connected to the wifi (i've even disconnected the printer from the wifi and reconnected it several times to make sure i was connected and i am).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi bradywurtz,

If you open System Preferences -- Print & Scan, does the printer have a host name in brackets behind the printer name (i.e. :HP Photosmart 6510 All-in-One [G53D42]) ?

If not, then the printer in the queue is for a USB connection, and all you need to do is:
1. Remove the USB listing
2. Click the "+" towards the bottom of the list (the white box where the printer was listed)
3. Find your 6510 (connection type should be Bonjour)
4. Click to highlight your printer, and then click Add.

Since you plugged in USB, and downloaded drivers, you should have the latest drivers -- but just to be certain, it wouldn't hurt to run Software Update and check for and HP Driver Bundle Updates (the latest being 2.8).

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue and I will work with you further on this.

Thanks! :generic:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended
Hi bradywurtz,

If you open System Preferences -- Print & Scan, does the printer have a host name in brackets behind the printer name (i.e. :HP Photosmart 6510 All-in-One [G53D42]) ?

If not, then the printer in the queue is for a USB connection, and all you need to do is:
1. Remove the USB listing
2. Click the "+" towards the bottom of the list (the white box where the printer was listed)
3. Find your 6510 (connection type should be Bonjour)
4. Click to highlight your printer, and then click Add.

Since you plugged in USB, and downloaded drivers, you should have the latest drivers -- but just to be certain, it wouldn't hurt to run Software Update and check for and HP Driver Bundle Updates (the latest being 2.8).

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue and I will work with you further on this.

Thanks! :generic:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

wow, idk how but you got it to work. when i open up Print & Fax on my mac, it wasn't showing up until i plugged it into my computer with a USB. Then it showed up, but the name of it got cut off so i couldn't read if there was any text after Photosmart 6510 series.

so i pressed the minus button to delete the printer, clicked the plus button to add a printer, and it gave me the option of adding Photosmart 6510 series [EDD2B0]

so i added it, it connected, then i made sure on the Print & Scan page that Share this printer on the network was checked, and that under Sharing Preferences i had File Sharing, Printing Sharing and Scanner Sharing were all checked.

i did a quick test print with the usb cable still attached, it worked.

then i unplugged the usb, and my printer didn't disappear in the Print & Scan page! it was still there! so i went to print a document and under Printer it showed Photosmart 6510 series but it had an '!' in a triangle in front of it, so i thought, "oh no, not this again". i went to print it anyway, and it worked!

now when i go back to print a document, there isn't a '!' in a triangle in front of the Photosmart 6510 series listing!

now it even shows up on my iphone 4!! it lists it as Photosmart 6510 series [EDD2B0]

I just wanted to go into full detail of what happened here so that if someone else is having the same problem they can find this post and your answer and my final statements so that hopefully someone else can be helped just by reading this!

Thanks a TON!!!

i was so close to calling HP and possibly returning it, now i'm happy!

HP Recommended

I have the same printer.  It is listed with a name in parenthesis but my computer stil says that it is not connected.  Every now and then it connects and prints but most of the time it does not work.  do you have any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem as bradywurtz.  I tried all the suggestions you gave but when it came to choosing the option for Photosmart 6510 series [EDD2B0] it was not listed.  Actually once I deleted the USB connection there were no other choices.  Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I never even tried a USB connection...I successfully installed three of the four computer wirelessly with no problem.

HOWEVER...when I tried to install a fourth computer, the installation process froze up on the screen where it looks for the wireless connection.  I have since deleted that installation and re-installed it four times, and even though it finds the HP 6510 as part of my network, it goes to a screen that says NOT CONNECTED after trying to install the network drivers.

How come I was successful on three computers, but not the fourth?  Any suggestions?   HELP!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem - I've got a MacBook Pro (Lion)  and have tried at least three times to install and reinstall the drivers for the Photosmart 6510. The wireless printing works well for a few hours and then very erratically. I'm just getting 'the printer is not connected' but there is not rhyme nor reason! Sometimes out of the blue it'll be working just fine and at other times (like now) nothing!

It's getting very close to returning this printer time. 

If anyone does have any suggestions I would be very appreciative. 

HP Recommended

I have never owned anything but HP printers and I am ready to give up.  I bought the 6510 and it has been nothing but trouble to connect.  Can't connect from my Win7 laptop, can't connect from my wife's MacBookPro.  This is appalling.   Trying to install over wireless.  Using static LAN address on printer and all computers are on the same network.  No software driver for mac???? Really HP??????

HP Recommended

Dear HP supporters

I have the excact same problem, yesterday my problem was solved by the description you have listed here. After waking up this morning, I can now AGAIN not print wireless?!?! 

When trying to ADD printer - the printer no longer appears under system preferences>Printers & Scan, I have tried shutting off/re-starting the printer and running the Wireless wizard on the printer again, it IS connected to my Wifi network but it does NOT show up on my list of "add new printer".

When trying to print, it keeps saying "Printer not connected"...

Can you help me here or do I have to start a new thread...?!

Mac Os X 10.7.3; latest printer drivers; fully functioning 14 hours ago, now not working...

HP Recommended

I am a faithful HP product owner (printers and computers) so have been totally ticked at the problems I've had with my HP 6510.   At least twice a month I have to reload the driver because the printer basically "deletes" itself.  The amount of time I've put towards reloading the driving is adding up (plus the driver which is available on-line seems to have a bug in it since it ends up spinning at the end of the driver loading process).  Since this printer cost me under $200, I think I'm just going to toss it into the trash and buy another (possibly different brand) printer.  Enough is enough!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.