Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Subject line says it all, I guess.  No messages, just spits out a blank sheet of paper.  Will print the Print Quality Diagnostics page.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@vanp2

That's unfortunate. Since it is a hardware issue, you will have to upgrade the printer. HP Support team will be able to assist you better.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@vanp2, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar0307, thanks for responding.

First, to answer your questions: I'm trying to print text documents and emails.  The problem seems to be the black ink.  Generally, it won't print any part of a document that's composed of black ink, which is, of course, most of a document.  An exception is that it will print HP's Diagnostics page, except there is nothing (no ink) in the 'black' box, unlike the 3 color boxes, each of which contains 3 shades of those colors.  The 3 shades of black ink are missing from the black-ink box; that box is empty/white.  Also, it will reproduce/print color photos (on normal ream copy paper) because . . . they're in color.

After posting, I decided to call Support.  That person's conclusion was that something in the printer wasn't working and wasn't a part that could be fixed or replaced, and I needed a new printer.  After that call I tried a few more tests.

I printed an email I received that has 2 lines of text in red.  Those lines printed fine; the rest of the document was barely visible in its black text.  I also made a copy of a handwritten document.  When I said "black" copy, the page was blank.  When I said "Color" copy, the page copied fine in dark ink (I guess 'black'; I didn't check it that closely).  Finally, I wasted money on a new black-ink cartridge just to make sure that wasn't the problem, and of course, it wasn't.

In the process of 'playing' with this I wound up on HP's website, and I believe I downloaded a new driver.  Looking at the Windows Control Panel Programs screen, I see several HP programs, but nothing of relevance with a recent date.  What I have is "HP Photosmart 6520 series Basic Device Software 9/11/2013 90.2 MB 28.0.1315.0".  I open the printer software normally once a week and check for updates, but there's almost never anything there.  Would this process download any newer software, which seems to be on your website?  And if not, why not?  Anyway, this doesn't sound like a driver problem.

I "Reset the printer" as you suggested.  I've had computers since 2007, with 2 HP printers.  They're always been connected to a UPS, and that will remain the case.  This has nothing to do with the problem.

I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor which I ran once before and got the same result.  It recognizes my machine, but the analysis process hangs near the end.  Clicking on "Cancel" grays out the screen, then the Cancel process hangs.  I have to go into Task Manager to end the task.

I'll wait for your response before trying your 12 steps.  After that you mention downloading a "Full-featured driver."  Is that something I'm supposed to do after the 12 steps?

Thanks again.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
HP Recommended

@vanp2

Thank you for the detailed response. If you are not able to make copies in black, it means the issue hardware related and not the driver.

When you used the new black ink cartridge, were you able to make copies and print in black?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"When you used the new black ink cartridge, were you able to make copies and print in black?"

"Finally, I wasted money on a new black-ink cartridge just to make sure that wasn't the problem, and of course, it wasn't."

I'm pretty sure I've already answered your question.

So, does this mean I don't need to do your 12 steps, just get a new printer?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
HP Recommended

@vanp2

If you have tried with two black ink cartridges and the issue persists, this seems like a hardware issue. You need not perform the 12 steps of reinstalling the print driver.

Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, the person I spoke with in Support said it sounded like a hardware problem that could not be fixed, so it sounds like a new printer is the only solution.  Too bad it wasn't one of the colors that conked out; I could still use it, I guess.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
HP Recommended

@vanp2

That's unfortunate. Since it is a hardware issue, you will have to upgrade the printer. HP Support team will be able to assist you better.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, Kumar0307, a new printer it is.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.