Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thank you to Dragon-Fur and Bob_Headrick for their replies to my post.

I am thinking of buying refillable cartridges so am looking into CISS ink suppliers.

But first, I want to ensure I get the correct type of ink for my printer as there are plenty of horror stories out there of printers/printheads being ruined by cheap or poor quality inks.

So first, my printer is HP Photosmart 7520 All in one. I understand that the BLACK ink is PIGMENT based and the CYM and PHOTO BLACK are DYE BASED inks. Hopefully someone can confirm this is correct.

I believe that pigment based inks are used on the basis that they give a longer print life/do not fade as soon as dye based inks, or at least that was the traditional way of thinking.

(It seems it is not simply a case of buying either dye based inks or pigment based inks as there are different types of each, depending on the inkjet printer types/methods of printing. For example Epson dye based inks are not compatible with my HP.)

I appreciate that Dragon-Fur stated “Photo Black and Regular Black are not the same thing and are not interchangeable.” And I see that the cartridges are of different sizes and therefore not interchangeable. However, I wasn’t 100% certain whether he was simply referring to the cartridges or the ink type.

So forgive me if I am being a little obtuse, but if you can answer the following questions, it will clarify the picture for me.

My main query is this – is it essential for my printer to use pigment based black ink in the black cartridge?

Alternatively, what would happen if I used dye based black ink in the black cartridge?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Chris19481 It seems that the tech went through the details and mentioned in the end/last post, that the printer you possess has a "difference in regular black cartridge and photo black cartridge." and these are the differences, so this is his final findings:

Photo black ink cartridge is dye basted:- Technical details

HP Black Original Ink Cartridge  is pigment based :- Click here

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Chris19481

Welcome to HP support community.

This printer uses dye based ink in the cartridges.

Here are the compatible cartridges:

Here is the link to buy the cartridge:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Sandytechy20.

I see you are an HP employee so I must assume your answer is correct.

I seen read in two separate places that the PHOTO BLACK is dye based and the BLACK is pigment based.

see extract fro the forum below -

‎05-20-2014 08:21 AM - edited ‎05-20-2014 09:23 AM

@clanawley wrote:
Are the HP 364 cartridges dye based or pigment. I need to know for fabric printing. Thanks for any help.

The black cartridge is pigment based, the color and photo inks are dye based.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Do you know if this was correct at the time?

If so when did HP change the BLACK to dye based?

Hope to accept your reply as 'SOLUTION' once you reply to this poating

Thanks Chris19481

HP Recommended

@Chris19481

I double checked and see that this black cartridge is dye based.

You can refer technical details in this HP store page:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again Sandytechy.

Brilliant reply; i followed the link and found confirmation so I should accept this as a solution (I will).

BUT it begs further questions - hope you can answer these too.

First, if both PHOTO BLACK and BLACK cartridges contain dye based ink, why bother to have two cartridges?

Is the ink in both cartridges identical? If not how are they different.

AND FINALLY!!!  Was the ink in the BLACK cartridge a pigment based ink when the printer was first on the market?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Chris19481

I see that there is a difference in regular black cartridge and photo black cartridge.

Photo black ink cartridge is dye basted:- Technical details

HP Black Original Ink Cartridge  is pigment based :- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I must address myself specifically to the answers given by Sandytechy20 for which I thank you.

Unfortunately you have supplied me with conflicting answers to my question. On 01.29.20 and 01.31.20 you advised that the photo black and black, are both dye based. On 02.03.20 you advised that photo black is dye based and black is pigment based.

You did not address the outstanding queries raised in my last posting.

HP Recommended

@Chris19481 It seems that the tech went through the details and mentioned in the end/last post, that the printer you possess has a "difference in regular black cartridge and photo black cartridge." and these are the differences, so this is his final findings:

Photo black ink cartridge is dye basted:- Technical details

HP Black Original Ink Cartridge  is pigment based :- Click here

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.