Mr_Ceurino
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photosmart B109a-m paper pick issue

HP Photosmart B109a-m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Whenever I try to print something on my Photosmart B109a-m, it makes a weird sound – as an engine spinning freely – and then shows the message "Out of Paper". I tried cleaning the rollers, but this didn't change anything. Am I missing something?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4,201 4,185 334 342
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Photosmart B109a-m paper pick issue

@Mr_Ceurino, Welcome to HP Support Community!

You may try the steps below to resolve the Out of Paper issue.

Step one: Remove all paper from the input and output trays

Remove all paper from the input and output trays on the product.

Step Two: Check the paper path for obstructions

1. Press the Power () button to turn off the product.

2. Verify the input tray is empty, and then check for paper jams, bits of paper, and other obstructions, gently removing any obstructions.

3. Lift the top door or the front cover, depending on the product, to access the print carriage, and then check for any obstructions in the paper path.

4. Gently remove any paper or other obstructions from the paper path you might find, and then close the print carriage access door.

5. Open the rear access door.

6. Gently remove any paper or other obstructions from the paper path.

7. Check the spring-loaded rear access door rollers to verify that they are clean and can be rolled.

8. Check the paper rollers inside the rear access and verify that the rollers are clean and roll upwards.

9. Check the star wheel assembly inside the printer on the output side of the carriage. Verify that it is in good condition and clear of paper bits or other obstructions.
    NOTE: 

The star wheel assembly is located inside the printer on the output side of the carriage. The star wheel assembly is a set of small, star-shaped wheels on top and rubber rollers on the bottom. The assembly grips the printed side of the paper, and moves the paper to the output tray after printing.

10. Replace the rear access door and verify that the rollers on the door and the rollers inside the rear access of the product are "matched up" with each other.

11. Press the power () button to turn on the product.

Step Three: Check the paper type

Verify that only recommended paper is being used for printing. The recommended paper types and weights for most HP printers include:

• Plain paper, 20 to 24 lb (75 to 90 gsm)

• Legal size paper, 20 to 24 lb (75 to 90 gsm)

• Card stock, up to a maximum of 110 lb (200 gsm)

• Envelopes, 20 to 24 lb (75 to 90 gsm)

• Photo paper, 145 lb (236 gsm)

NOTE: 

Supported paper weights and types vary by product. Check the Specifications sheet for your product for more information.

Step Four: Make sure that the paper is loaded correctly

Gather a stack of plain, white paper and load it in the product's input tray.

1. Use only one type of paper in the stack.

2. Use 10 to 25 sheets of paper in the stack.

3. Fan the stack of paper to make sure that the sheets do not stick together.

4. Tap the stack of paper against a hard, flat surface, such as a tabletop, to make the edges even.

5. Insert the stack of paper into the input tray.

6. Make sure that the stack of paper is flat in the input tray. Verify the right side of the stack of the paper touches the right side of the input tray and that the stack is pushed completely into the tray.

7. Position the paper guides firmly against the sides of the paper stack without bending the paper.

Step Five: Test the All-in-One

Follow these steps to print a self-test page. If the page prints successfully, the product is functioning correctly.

1. Press the Setup button on the printer.

2. Depending on what product you have, perform one of the following:

• Press the arrow key to select Print Report and then press OK.

• Press the arrow key to select Self Test Report and press OK.

A test page prints.

If it does not it could be a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation