Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The printer was working fine until I replaced the black ink cartridge (564XL). The first few pages had blank smear lines down the middle. The next time I went to print it would not print black and all other colors are dull. Went to solutions and did everything they ask to do  nothing works. If anyone has a solution I could use it. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi

Is the vent area clear? If so, then I would suggest contacting HP phone support as you may be entitled to a replacement cartridge under warranty.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

Figure 11: Close-up photo of a clean cartridge vent
Photo: Close-up photo of a clean  cartridge vent
Figure 12: Close-up photo of a vent clogged with adhesive
Photo: Close-up photo of a vent clogged with adhesive
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

Checked the vent, i had another cartridge and tried that, sill not printing.

I have looked and can not find a number to call HP to talk with someone.

HP Recommended

Update on problem

I went back and ran the install on the new drivers fro windows7. When it came to the test page it started working again, this is the second time I have had to to this. The first time it did this it would not print at all.

HP Recommended

The same thing happen to me. Errr...

HP Recommended

I have had this problem in the past and was able to recover by reloading the driver.  However, I just recently changed the black ink cartridge again and encountered the same problem.  Printer was working fine right before I changed cartridges.  I cleaned the carriage (as recommended in other threads) to no avail.  Also tried alternate new cartridge for black.

Everything is very clean and nothing is plugged so I know that is not the problem.  As I did previously, I deinstalled and then reinstalled the printer. This did not work.  I did it a second time and at the final stage of installation there is a question asking whether you want to print a test photo.  You have the option of skipping that step and printing a standard test page, which I did.  The test page printed beautifully in black text.  However, the printer still will not print a standard page of text, nor will a test page printed from the printer or the Solution Center print either.  I thought I must have been seeing things but I have now repeated this process with the same results.  Test page from install prints but no other black printing beyond that is achievable.

My conclusion is that this is a software bug.  Black ink displays as full on the ink level graphic indication, but for some reason black cartridge print command is failing.

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended
My B109n-z similar problem - black ink displays as full on the ink level graphic indication, but for some reason does not print black. even though I tried a new cartridge.
HP Recommended

Hi rsedelmeir, weird that the Test Page prints fine but not a standard page. I'll ask around for suggestions from some folks here and get back to you...

Ciara

HP Recommended

Hi rsedelmeier, could you please scan in the test page and post it here?

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

Test page attached. Note that I can repeat this process of printing this test page from the install process but cannot print a test page either from the printer front panel or from the solution center.  Also calibration fails of course without black ink.

test page0001.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.