Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi BluHairFrk, 

Follow the instructions below. 

1. Plug the printer into the computer

2. Open Devices and printers

3. Click on Add a printer

4. Change the port from LPT1 to USB port

5. Click the Windows Update button (Refer to screenshot below)

6. Click on HP, and then Chose HP Deskjet 990c driver (Refer to screenshot below)

7. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the printer using the 990c driver.

990c.jpg

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

@pcwizard wrote:

Hi BluHairFrk, 

Follow the instructions below. 

1. Plug the printer into the computer

2. Open Devices and printers

3. Click on Add a printer

4. Change the port from LPT1 to USB port

5. Click the Windows Update button (Refer to screenshot below)

6. Click on HP, and then Chose HP Deskjet 990c driver (Refer to screenshot below)

7. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the printer using the 990c driver.

990c.jpg

Thank you for the response, I know you are trying to help me.

The problem i am running into is that i have already done all of these steps. When I run the windows update the deskjet 990c does not show up.

Here are pictures:

Step1.PNG

Step2.PNG

Step3.PNG

Step4.PNG

As you can see i have already run the window update, there are no new printers for it to get. However the deskjet 990c does not show up. Is there some other place where i can get this driver?

HP Recommended

Hi BluHairFrk, 

The Deskjet 990c driver is populated when you run the windows update from add a printer. If your computer didn't populate all the drivers I would suggest running it again. If you still don't get all the updates I would then suggest you try the same process on a different computer running Win 7. 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have run the update several times, and i only have one computer. There's really no other way to get it to work? Is there no where else i can obtain the driver?

HP Recommended

Hi BluHairFrk, 

The only way to get this older driver is using the windows update from add a printer. It appears that there are issues with the operating system on your computer if you are unable to get the windows update drivers. The only option at this point would be to back up your data on your computer, and then run a factory restore to correct any issue you are having with the computer.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I was having the same problem and then realized I was selecting Hewlett-Packard, not HP.  Be sure to selct HP when updating Windows 7 drivers.  It works.

HP Recommended

OK PCWIZARD

LETS SAY YOU CAN DO MAGIC  PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOU GET FROM PICTURE 4

(WIN CAN NOT GET A LIST OF DEVICES FROM WIN UPDATE)

TO-PICTURE 5-  WE ARE THINKING YOU KNOW A STEP AND DIDN'T TELL US.

IT STILL APPEARS THAT HP DON'T SUPPORT THERE PRODUCTS.

AND RETIRED HP EMPLOYEE

YEP I WROTE THIS ON MY MAC BECAUSE IT WORKS.

HP Recommended

Hi

If you get the message "WIN CAN NOT GET A LIST OF DEVICES FROM WIN UPDATE" this is due to the Windows operating system. You either don't have a internet connection to download the updates or your operating system is having issues.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Just  been  having  the   same  problem  with   win  7   6bit  ,  after  a  pc   rebuild .

I  have  a   solution  which  has   worked   for  me   .

I  had  a   similar   problem   with   vista   and  the  photo   smat 1000  ,  and  my  old   fix  seems  to   work  hear  too

It   appears  that  the  drivers   for    the   desk  jet  1200c    double  up  as  a   stable   drive   for   windows  7   and   vista   for  the  photosmart . 

I  run   both  types  of   printer  ,  the   1220c   worked   first  time  on   win   7   and   didn't  raise   and  issues   ,  but   across my  network   ,  to  my  older  kit  ,  the   usual  no drivers   error .

But  I   just  installed  the   1220c  drivers  ,  and  it   works   fine  ,  both   printers   share  the   same    ink  cartridges

and   act  much  the   same  .

Photo   quality  printing  on   glossy  paper   seems    as crisp  as   ever .

Ok  I  hope  this   helps 

HP Recommended

THANKS DAVE-ITS INTERESTING OTHERS CAN COME UP WITH IDEAS

THAT HP OR MICROSOFT CAN'T OR WILL NOT....

WOULD LOVE TO TRY 1200C BUT SAME PROBLEM AS WITH 970CXI---

THOSE CHOICES ARE NOT THERE

WHEN I PRESS UPDATE-I GET THIS MESSAGE--

"WINDOWS IS UNABLE TO GET A LIST OF DEVICES FROM WIN UPDATE "

DA GEEKS-ON THE NET SAY TO RUN XP IN BACK GROUND -

I GOT TO AGREE WITH WINDOWS SUCH A PROBLEM

STAY-OR GO BACK TO XP IT WORKS. THANKS.

I AM A RETIRED HP EMPLOYEE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.