Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have the exact same problem I found on an earlier post. I copied it below. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Print-Carriage-Cannot-Move/td-p/6774046

<<My printer was working without any issues unitl today when I had to replace the yellow ink cartridge. I used a genuine HP cartridge purchased at Staples. After that, I got an error saying that all of my cartridges were missing or damaged. Then it came up with the "print carriage cannot move" error.

I have since tried putting back the empty yellow cartridge and then just replaced all of the cartridges with new. Still the error persisted.

Then, I went through all of the steps stalled carriage instructions on this site. There wasn't even a tiny bit of paper anywhere. I can move the carriage by hand. There does not appear to be any physical damage to the ink cartridges or the print head. The printer has been reset multiple times now and it is plugged into the wall. There is no ethernet cable directly plugged in, we use it wirelessly.

One good thing that came out of all that is that resetting the printer did get rid of the missing or damaged cartridge error, but the carriage is still stalled. No matter what the starting position is, when the printer starts back up, the carriage tries to move right for about one inch, then quickly slams back left and stops where it started. If I start it with the carriage all the way to the right, it just doesn't move at all.>>

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Busony, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would like to appreciate efforts in trying to resolve the issue. After reading the entire post this looks like an issue with the printer carriage which is a hardware failure. Refer to the document  'Carriage Jam' or 'E3' Error Displays for details.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello TEJ1602,

Thanks for your answer. I've done the steps in   'Carriage Jam' or 'E3' Error Displays and it still does not work. The printer was working fine until we replaced the ink cartridges. I tried putting the old one back in and it still does not work. I find this very odd.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

We've had this printer for a bit more than a year and it is very frustrating to see that the warranty expired a couple months ago. Now I'm surely going to have to have to buy a new one since servicing will probably cost the same price than a new one.

HP Recommended

@Busony

The maximum we could do was already mentioned in the document. Also, contacting the HP Support team will help you an exchange or upgrade the printer as per your requirement.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.