Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have scoured the forums for a solution to my problem and come up with nothing. I have an HP Photosmart C5250 All-in-one connected via USB to a Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 64 bit. I have attempted the suggested reset several times with the ink cartridges in and out to no avail. I am using HP brand ink cartridges. As it stands I do not need to print anything but I do need to scan something into my computer and the error message is preventing me from doing anything. I have been through the documentation several times and it is not telling me anything that I donn't already know or haven't already done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hey SGibbons, Lets try these steps:

1. Without turning off the product, disconnect the USB cable (if connected that way) from the rear of the product

2. Remove the cartridges from the product. Wait until a message to insert the cartridges displays. If you do not see a message within a few minutes, skip to the next ste

3. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product. Wait 60 second

4. Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button

5. Reinsert the cartridges, and then close any open doors on the product. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.  If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the product

6. Try printing again

Let me know if this helps at all. If not provide any new details or error messages and we will go from there.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. I found this on another forum: 

do a semi full reset

combo would be:

(Confidential Information Removed for Safety Reasons)

HP Recommended

hey SGibbons, Lets try these steps:

1. Without turning off the product, disconnect the USB cable (if connected that way) from the rear of the product

2. Remove the cartridges from the product. Wait until a message to insert the cartridges displays. If you do not see a message within a few minutes, skip to the next ste

3. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product. Wait 60 second

4. Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button

5. Reinsert the cartridges, and then close any open doors on the product. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.  If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the product

6. Try printing again

Let me know if this helps at all. If not provide any new details or error messages and we will go from there.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Sean,

I tried your solution from 6/13/2012. Was not successful.

Still have Error message: Refer to Printer Documentation.

Recently put in Black Cartridge World refilled cartridge. Put in Color 2 days ago.Have used successfully in the past.

Never had this message before.

Thanks,

R2000

HP Recommended

Hi Sean,

It finally worked! I went on to other things to wait for a reply from you. Next time I looked it was asking for the alignment. Thanks so much! 

HP Recommended

how did you manage to make it work !! ??

HP Recommended

Hi Sean,

I did as you said and am getting the same message, the ink cartridge is new.

TheBrit

HP Recommended
Hi SeanS
Thanks this did work for me! I was ready to bin my printer and buy a new one. It was very frustrating to find no help on the HP website.
Thanks again!
HP Recommended

@lulubaby wrote:
Hi SeanS
Thanks this did work for me! I was ready to bin my printer and buy a new one. It was very frustrating to find no help on the HP website.
Thanks again!

Awesome! So glad to hear I could help!

Take care,

Sean

HP Recommended

I am having this problem and tried what you suggest and have had zero sucess. Really about to break the printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.