Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am seriously going to have an anxiety attack. I run a business from home & I HAVE to have a printer. I just spent $50 on new ink cartridges. My printer was working fine for the last week, and then tonight I have this error message:

Print cartridge problem: [Tri Color] . Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot

SO I reset the printer, shut it on and off, cleaned the cartridge and the printer, switched out the new cartridge with the old one ~ same problem. Over and over.

I called HP and they said that since my printer is out of warranty they can't help me unless I purchase a new warranty plan. What horrible customer service. This printer is a product of HP and I should be able to get help regardless of when the warranty expired.

This is so frustrating. If I can't get help, I think I would rather buy a new printer of a different brand instead of paying for a warranty after I just spent 50 bucks on ink. GRRR!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Does HP actually come to help people in the forums or am I on my own here? :Crying:

HP Recommended

*crickets*

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum. This is a peer to peer community for customers to connect and share solutions on their HP consumer products. If you have direct feedback for HP about their products or services, please use the link below.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

If you have other questions and concerns, please feel free to send me a private message.

HP Recommended

You should be able to print in B/W only.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

The page here has troubleshooting steps that may resolve your issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem.  In fact, it's been going on for several years and I can't get it resolved.  I did my taxes last night, the black cartridge ran out, I put in a new one and guess what?  Nothing will print.  I only use HP cartridges and I just lost $50 plus dollars.  I'm buying a new printer and it's not going to be an HP.

HP Recommended

This printer is a piece of KRAP!

I am taking it back to Costco.

I just waited a week to get a replacement and the dam thing still doesn't work.

The Tri Color ink cartrige had only 3 pages printed and now I have to replace it.

I don't think so!

HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue.  Error regarding the Tri-color print cartridge.  Printer wouldn't print.  pulled out the old cartridge and insert a new tri-color.  Aligned cartridge.... working fine now.

HP Recommended
Hi shawna2011,

There are several reasons this issue could occur:

1. The cartridge might need to be reinstalled.
2. The electrical contacts could be dirty.
3. The cartridges might need to be aligned.
4. There could be a failure of the cartridge or printer.

To troubleshoot this issue, click the link below:

http://goo.gl/oqv2Q
🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.