Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The message appears on the Photosmart C4280.  I tried reinstalling, cleaning contacts.  Then I bought new HP brand cartridges to replace the (non-empty) cartridges.  None of this makes any difference.  I still get "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected" showing on the device.  Any thoughts??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the steps described in this document

Do any of these solve the issue??

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the steps described in this document

Do any of these solve the issue??

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had tried the steps listed on that page.  They didn't work.  (BTW, the first link to determine cartridge compatibility doesn't work.  I had already established compatibility anyway.)

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had the same problem with 2 new sets of ink cartridges. It finally started working after I cleaned the copper contact points with a wet q-tip on the actual printer & then dried it with a new q-tip. Hopefully that helps!

HP Recommended

I've tried wit both Q tip and coffed filter and I am still getting the same error message. How can I tell which cartridge that it is not detecting? Any help greatly appreciated. thanks

HP Recommended

Hi ppielHPUser

If you've followed the steps in the document (such as cleaning the cartridges, re-setting the printer etc.) then I would suggest contacting Phone Support. You can check if cartridges are still within warranty by checking the warranty ends date here 

Hope this helps.

Ciara

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. Can you please let me know if you figured it out? One person told me that I'd need to enter some codes to fix it?..

HP Recommended

Thanks for the above link, it cleared the error message at first attempt

HP Recommended

WHEW!!! I thought this dang thing was officially MESSED UP!! I was looking at websites fixing to buy a NEW one! Then I typed in that "missing or not detected" message that I absolutely could NOT get rid of for NOTHING! I followed all those steps and ABRA-CADABRA!! HOCUS-POCUS!!...WORKING AGAIN!! :OpenSmile:  --Sara--

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.