Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Woops.  Typed message in subject line.  I'll try again.  I have a Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer A910g.  I replaced my three color ink cartridges, and can no longer print...print jobs are in the queue...and I get an error message on the display screen "alignment failed.  Refer to device documentation for details." Also, although the Cyan ink level shows full on the screen now, I get no blue on the print head alignment test document.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Sometimes when you get this error message, it may be the print cartridges or print head may need cleaning. 

Here is a link that may assist you with this problem. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02207121

Let me know if this helps. This is not a software issue, so you do not have to uninstall the software and things of that nature. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Sometimes when you get this error message, it may be the print cartridges or print head may need cleaning. 

Here is a link that may assist you with this problem. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02207121

Let me know if this helps. This is not a software issue, so you do not have to uninstall the software and things of that nature. 

Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

tried all that, still says alignment failed, is it worth buying new printheads or just junk it ?

HP Recommended

@xrayjack, yes, sometimes it is worth it to buy new print heads. It may just be the print head is not cleaned or it is clogged. It can also be a bad one. 

Now, if you replace the print heads and this situation happens comes up again in a few weeks, then it is your PRINTER that needs replacing. 

If you purchase print heads, and it happens again, you will be under warranty with the print head, and you could get those replaced. 

HP Recommended

I had my HP Ink cartridges refilled with ink at a well known national food warehouse.   After installing these refilled ink cartridges (and cleaning the contacts with alchohol)  my printer goes through the process of cleaning the print heads, and aligning the print heads.  No matter how many times I go through this cycle, I get the same error message that reads, "Alignment Failed, refer to device documentation for details".

Do you think that ief I purchased new HP Ink Cartridges for this printer, that the printer will function again?  Alternatively, should I look for a new printer?  

HP Recommended

i DID buy the new printhead and now i'm stuck in a loop of the print alignment failed exactly as you mentioned.  I have been searching for answers on this forum.  There is another thread with several people with the same problem and no solutions!  Can anyone offer any other suggestions besides following the many steps I have been through as suggested on the HP support instructions??

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi Rudy 1906!

i DID buy the new printhead and now i'm stuck in a loop of the print alignment failed exactly as you mentioned.  I have been searching for answers on this forum.  There is another thread with several people with the same problem and no solutions!  Can anyone offer any other suggestions besides following the many steps I have been through as suggested on the HP support instructions??

Can you please help?!

HP Recommended

I have had this printer since [maybe] 2008.  Just started having problems with the printing (scanner feed mechanism failed two years ago).  Installed new ink cartridges as they were nearly depleted.  Cleaned all levels of printhead cleaning, but alignment would still fail.

Cleaned printheads (removed and cleaned with hot water, then tried alcohol) -- started working again, but Alignment Failed message always appeared when printing from the computer. 

Purchased two new printheads as per HP guidance.  $100 later, same message.  Now that my new ink cartridges are almost depleted because of the repeated cleaning, I am not happy.

I figured that maybe the alignment sensor is dirty.  I located it on the right side of the printhead carriage and removed it.  Sure enough it had some kind of semi transparent film/grime on it.  Scrubbed it with alcohol, Windex and cotton cloth before I finally got the grime off.

Reinstalled and...  Alignment is working again!  $100 printheads were probably unnecessary, $125 of ink is all but gone... But it is working again.  Great, right?  No, stupid!  Could have purchased a new printer for the money and time spent on this thing.

Actually, the alignment failed.  I thought it was successful because it printed more than one line of the alignment page so I came here to brag, thinking I was a genius.  Returned to the printer to find a full alignment page, but it still failed.

Just ran the alignment a second time, both pages printed and it was successful.  Based on what I found inside - a light coating of ink on everything - I think the repeated cleaning produced an ink "fog" inside and coated everything, even the sensor.  Of course, it could have been the 20,000 pages I have printed, too.  Too bad this printer is not eligible for the Instant Ink program.

HP Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeBbsvU6rA  

SIMPLE FIX!  Why don't people post these!  I was stuck in the "alignment" mode, wasted two sets of ink, had to clean out tons of goopy ink from inside, cleaned the print heads only to find out that there is a simple fix that HP never wants to tell you about. I was ready to throw this amazing printer in the trash!

HP Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeBbsvU6rA  

SIMPLE FIX!  Why don't people post these!  I was stuck in the "alignment" mode, wasted two sets of ink, had to clean out tons of goopy ink from inside, cleaned the print heads only to find out that there is a simple fix that HP never wants to tell you about. I was ready to throw this amazing printer in the trash!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.