Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used this  HP Officejet Pro 8610 for 6 years and I really like the features. I usually just print on 8.5" x 11 " paper or card stock and have had very few problems. Today I am trying to print on 5"x7" card stock from Word 2019 using my Dell  XPS 8930 machine running Windows 10 x 64 over a wireless network. The printer does not keep the page layout. About 25% of the time the layout is correct on the 5"x7" card. 75% of the time the printer consistantly adds a 2.25" left margin.

I have re-created the document to rule out any strange codes, in Word 2019, Livre Office Writer 6.02, and in a PDF format. All print with the same problem. I tried moving my printer and connecting a USB cable, no change. I tried changing my paper size to 8.5" x 11" with content  that would land on my 5"x7" card stock but the printer gave an error message that the paper size sensor saw a conflict between the document paper size and the card stock in the printer.

This has led me to think that the paper size sensor has been the problem all along. Is the vibration of printing  causing the sensor to detect the size of the card stock differently? How can the sensor be cleaned, replaced or disabled? I can not find and reference to even the location of the sensor. Any help would be appreciated. I want to print the invitations for my daughters wedding which should be a simple task. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Stephen195207 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer Size Sensor failing.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please perform the hard reset and check for the issue.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

5. Wait at least 60 seconds. 

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed 

Also, update the firmware.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Stephen195207 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer Size Sensor failing.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please perform the hard reset and check for the issue.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

5. Wait at least 60 seconds. 

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed 

Also, update the firmware.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply to my problem. I think it was helpful. Prior to doing the reset you suggested I made some changes under printer preferences. 

1) Printers and Devices > HP Officejet Pro 8610 (Network) > Printing Preferences > Layout > Advanced > Paper Size (select 5"x7") > Apply > OK

2) Printers and Devices > HP Officejet Pro 8610 (Network) > Printing Preferences > Printing Shortcut > Paper Type (select Card Stock) > Apply > OK

These changes reduced my error rate from 75% to about 15%.

In response to your message I confirmed that my firmware was up to date and did the reset at outlined. I  had already struggled through my project yielding 65 good prints out of 120 attempts. After the reset I did print 6 documents as a test and all 6 printed successfully.

Thank you for your assistance.

Stephen195207

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.