Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Macbook pro
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi guys, 

My printer wont print. It Does Scan, but when i try to print i get message saying "waiting for printer to become available" and it's stuck forever. 

I have latest drivers, but maybe there's something i'm missing? 

Thanks,

Nemanja

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @balbirirse

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the "waiting for the printer to become available" issue. 

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Then, try deleting and adding the printer with airprint drivers.

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

@Deadline_Dork

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

To assist you better please provide me with the complete printer model or the product number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Also let me know from which App you are trying to print

Keep me posted 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, this is DJB-CH.   I have an HP Officejet 2620 All-in-One.  

When I updated to Mac OS Catalina 10.15 scanning from the can bed stopped working (though scanning with the scan feeder still works).  

On Dec 19th (I think) a applied a new update for my All-In One device the printer stopped working completely.  I think it may be to the HPSmart function (for MacOS).  

The printer now will scan from the scan feeder and copy, but I can not print anything...the print queue says "Waiting for printer to become available" which never goes away.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi @DJB-CH

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• How is the printer connected to the MAC?
  • Check the connectivity.
  • Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

If you are using HP Easy Scan to scan, it is not yet compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. We're actively working to restore complete functionality. I suggest using HP Smart app or Apple Image capture to scan from your MAC. Kindly refer to this document to know how. 

Refer to this document for more info on HP Easy Scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thanks very much for your help!  First, a few details. My device is an HP Officejet 2630 All-in-One.  The serial number is [edited].  My MacBook Pro is on OS Catalina 10.15.2

Answers to your questions:

- The printer is connected directly via a USB cable.  The device is not wireless enabled.

- I have checked the connectivity and the power and the USB connections are good (I can scan via HP Smart from my MacBook Pro and I can scan from my printer/scanner device to my MacBook Pro)

- I have tried printing form MS Excel, MS Word, PDFs, jpegs, and web pages.  All give the same error in the printer queue of "Printing - waiting for the printer to become available"

- I can use the "copy" function successfully on the device.

I have also done the following:

- set my printer defaults back to factory defaults

- I have updated my HP firmware with the update dated 18-Dec-2019 posted to the HP support website.  I did this via the HP Easy Start tool and downloaded/installed "Essential Software v5.14.6.7".  I was not able to print the test page even though the an image in the App was shown with a check mark and "Printing is enabled".  The test printout was in the print queue with the message of "Printing - waiting for printer to become available."  I did a test scan and I was able to scan from the glass scan bed but not from the document feeder.  At the end it said the software was installed successfully.

- I reset my printing system via my MacBook Pro via System Preferences (this deletes all printer) and I added the printer again.

- The HP Utility App shows the printer to be: "Device: Idle" and "Supplies: Good"

- I have tried HP Easy Scan and it does not work with either the glass scan bed or the document feeder.

- I downloaded and installed HP Smart on my MacBook Pro.  When I try to print a PDF, the print queue shows the message "Printer - Waiting for printer to become available.  

- If I try to scan immediately after trying to print I get the error "A problem with the scanner has been detected.  Restart the printer, and then try again.  If the problem persists, visit the HP support website.

- I shut down HP Smart and reopened it to try to scan again.  If I try scanning from the scanner glass bed, I get the message "Scanner Issue - An error occurred during scanning."  

- I shut down HP Smart again and reopened it.  I tried to scan from the document feeder and this works fine.  I then tried to add another document to the scan via the glass scanner bed and funny enough it worked.  I was able to save the file as a PDF.  I then tried to print this scanned PDF document and again I got the message "Printing - waiting for the printer to become available.

Summary:

- I am able to scan from the glass scanner bed and the document feeder and save an image to a PDF file.  (it is not pretty, but it works)

- I can not print from my MacBook Pro via USB cable.  My printer/scanner device is not wireless enabled so I am not able to use AirPrint.  

- Do you know of any other "work-around" to get my device to print?

- I use my device for my home office and I need a device that can print.  Can you tell me when the print issues will be fixed?  if it is not soon, I will not to go out and buy another printer...and unfortunately given this experience, it will not be an HP device.

- And finally, I am really disappointed with HP about these problems.  I always thought that HP was the "Gold Standard" in printers and this  situation shows that this is now far from the truth.  

- Thanks very much for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you.

HP Recommended

@DJB-CH, thank you for the detailed response. Glad to know that you are able to scan now using the HP Smart app.

Do you have an anti-virus program installed on the MAC?

Did you try printing from the HP Smart app and check if that works?

Make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. You may try connecting it to a different USB port on the MAC and check if that helps.

Let me know how this goes.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have never installed any anti-virus software on my MacBook Pro.

My USB cable is attached directly to my MacBook and the MacBook can find and recognises the printer.

As indicated in my prior email, printing with HP Smart does not work.   I have tried it on both USB ports on my MacBook and I still get the same message in the print queue of "Printing - Waiting for printer to become available.  I have no USB 3 Bus.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@DJB-CH

Create a new user account, install the printer and check if that helps.

To know how to create a new user account for testing purposes, refer to this document.

If the issue persists, I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

est you to contact them for further assistance.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you to all who have responded to me regarding my problems printing & scanning with an HP Officejet 2620 (with no wireless features).  The printing and scanning problems started when I upgraded my MacBook to OS Catalina 10.15.

After almost 100 messages and suggestions and spending about 40 hours researching the problem on Apple and HP websites, I have given up on my HP printer.  The Apple website (and others) tells me that Apple announced long ago they were changing their printer support from 32-bit technology to 64-bit technology.  The HP website has no information on this change for Mac OS or what they did or did not do about the change.  The drivers for my printer on the HP website are the same as two years ago so HP has not updated them for the Apple changes.

I have tried to us HP Scan and HP Smart as recommended by a number of people.  HP Smart (even the most recent version) does not print or scan documents with my MacBook.  HP Scan (again the latest version) only scans from the document feeder and not the glass scanner bed.

Today I purchased an Epson XP-7100 printer as a replacement.  It took me 60 minutes to set-up and I am now able to print and scan quickly and easily.  Tomorrow my HP Officejet 2620 goes to the electronic waste/recycling center.  I have a second HP printer (different model) with the same problem as my HP Officejet 2620.  Now that I know the Epson printer is compatible with Mac OS Catalina, I will buy a second Epson printer and the second HP Printer will also be sent to the electronic waste/recycling center.

I have been a loyal HP customer for almost 40 years and that ended this week.  Thanks again to all who tried to help me.  And to keep message clutter to a minimum there is no need to reply to this message.

HP Recommended

@DJB-CH

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns and frustrations

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.