Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET 6958
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am able to print using Print with HP Smart in black & white and color but won't print black from two different Windows 10 computers.  Test page text at top is faint and alignment page is only blue.  Have deleted and reinstalled drivers.  Brand new cartridge from instant Ink program.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @CovertMan

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Try making a standalone copy in black and color to check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Kindly perform steps 7, 2, and 9 from this document to resolve this issue.

Note: Clean the printhead up to 3 times for better print quality.

You may print a print quality page to check the results.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i bought a new 902 ink cartridge as i thought it might be that but it didn't help (got lots of Instant Ink warnings as well).  Finally saw on the website something about Windows 10 errors and while my computer said updates were current there was an option below to add features which i selected to download.  This solved the printing issues with the black cartridge.

HP Recommended

@CovertMan

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.