Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8600 Plus

I have two issues which have suddenly arisen with a 2 year old printer.

1) when I print there is a significant delay as the heads move side to side, then the copy is printed a couple of centimetres to the right of where it should be

2) when I copy there is a loud bang at the back of the printer within the rear feed and the paper then either jams or comes out blank with a "Paper Mismatch" warning

Any idea how I resolve these issues?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ajsnet

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Change paper and copy size settings

Adjust the paper and copy settings from the printer control panel menu to enlarge or reduce the size of copies.

NOTE: 

For printers without a control panel menu, most models use default normal copy settings that cannot be changed. As a workaround, scan the original into the computer, and then use the editing tools in the HP scanning software to resolve any size issues. You can then print multiple copies of the edited scan file.

1. Touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo on the printer control panel.

2. Touch Settings or the gear icon  to access and change the following settings.

• Resize or Size: Change the size of the copy. Options can include a list of presets, custom sizes between 25 and 400 percent of the original size, Fit to Page, and an Actual Size setting to make a borderless copy.

• Paper Size: Select the plain or photo paper size for your copies, or select Automatic to let the printer detect the paper loaded in the tray.

• Paper Type: Select the type of plain or photo paper for your copies.

• Tray Selection: Select the paper input tray with the paper being used for your copies.

3. Select Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults to retain the settings for future copy jobs.

4. Depending on the printer, touch Start, or return to the main Copy screen by touching Back, and then touch Start Black, Start Color, or OK to start the copy job

Align the printhead

Use an automated tool to align the printhead.

1. Load plain white paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Right Arrow () to display additional options.

3. Touch Setup (), and then touch Tools.

4. Touch Align Printhead. The printer prints an alignment page.

5. After the printer prints the alignment page, touch OK to return to the Home screen.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.