Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 5540 that is connected via USB to my desktop. I can scan a document from the desktop. A print job goes into the queue, status changes to Printing, then disappears after a few seconds without printing. I can print via wireless from my laptop. These indicate the cable is connected and the printer is working. In HP Smart, Scan is okay, I can print Internal reports, but not from the desktop. All the HP updates have been installed. Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mksmith44

I don't know -- we have seen a rash of various print issues lately that do appear to be related in some way to recent Windows Updates (Windows Fall Creators and more recent).  The problem seems to affect other than just HP printers, which does reinforce the idea that there is something in the Operating System / File System that is awry. 

I do not know whether what you are seeing is related to other issues recently reported.  I am "guessing" there may be a connection.

If you have a Restore Point dated prior to when you noticed the problem, you could try restoring the File System to that date / time.

Good Reference:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

and

System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Reminder:  System Restore is NOT a system recovery -- "restore" does not wipe out your Operating System nor does it remove your personal data.  

Even assuming this works, the "fix" will be temporary -- Windows Updates (on Windows 10) can be deferred but there is no way to completely stop them.

Microsoft will issue a fix (yet another Update) as soon as they have one available.

and / or

If you like, try / consider the following solution.

The procedure is a bit extreme as these things go, the solution has worked for various File System problems, there is no guarantee it will work in this situation.   In so much that I am aware, it won't make things worse; you will have to reinstall any other printers you have installed on the same computer.

Essentially the same fix as for the “not compatible with a policy” error, this repair method can help in those cases where Windows Updates may have corrupted driver components in the Operating System.

Solution contributed by  ShlomiL

Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1.  Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2.  Create a backup of your full registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3.  Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4.  Right-click the Start menu and select Run
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5.  Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to rename reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6.  Restart your computer.
7.  Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@mksmith44

IF the problem is the Print Service being "stuck", the following might fix it:

Print Queue / Service Reset

Stop print service, clear the print folder, Start print service

• Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >
  • Scroll down, find, andStop Print Spooler Service
  • Delete files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  • Start Print Spooler Service

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Still does not print. I don't think it's a spooler problem because I see the status go from Spooler to Printing, where it stays for about 5 seconds before disappearing. I have run Troubleshooter, HP Print and Scan, just about everything I've found on the Internet. The printer worked about 2 weeks ago, then one morning there were a bunch of what seemed to be Win10 updates. I can print wireless from my laptop. I have deleted the driver using printui /s /t2, removed device, unplugged for 2 min.  I can scan from the desktop and from the printer. I can print reports, but they seem to be commands sent to and performed by the printer, as they do not show up in the queue.

I do not have another printer, but don't know what successful printing would indicate.

I can even print from the laptop via that USB cable. Grasping at straws now, but I'll try any new straw at this point.

Thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended

@mksmith44

I don't know -- we have seen a rash of various print issues lately that do appear to be related in some way to recent Windows Updates (Windows Fall Creators and more recent).  The problem seems to affect other than just HP printers, which does reinforce the idea that there is something in the Operating System / File System that is awry. 

I do not know whether what you are seeing is related to other issues recently reported.  I am "guessing" there may be a connection.

If you have a Restore Point dated prior to when you noticed the problem, you could try restoring the File System to that date / time.

Good Reference:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

and

System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Reminder:  System Restore is NOT a system recovery -- "restore" does not wipe out your Operating System nor does it remove your personal data.  

Even assuming this works, the "fix" will be temporary -- Windows Updates (on Windows 10) can be deferred but there is no way to completely stop them.

Microsoft will issue a fix (yet another Update) as soon as they have one available.

and / or

If you like, try / consider the following solution.

The procedure is a bit extreme as these things go, the solution has worked for various File System problems, there is no guarantee it will work in this situation.   In so much that I am aware, it won't make things worse; you will have to reinstall any other printers you have installed on the same computer.

Essentially the same fix as for the “not compatible with a policy” error, this repair method can help in those cases where Windows Updates may have corrupted driver components in the Operating System.

Solution contributed by  ShlomiL

Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1.  Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2.  Create a backup of your full registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3.  Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4.  Right-click the Start menu and select Run
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5.  Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to rename reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6.  Restart your computer.
7.  Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for that info. After I get them done, I'll let you know the results.

HP Recommended

YOU ROCK!!! The procedure that renamed the driver folders worked, and I can now print via the USB! I compared the folders, and noticed several "old" files had dates of 1/18/2018 when the Win10 updates were installed. Spread the word! I've sent this info to our computer club's tech team, as they have received calls about printer problems. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@mksmith44

You are welcome.

I am glad the issue is resolved.

Happy Printing!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.