Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 5540 Envy all in one printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no idea what settings were changed but all of a sudden the print box looks different and I can't print in color. I checked settings and it appears that color is selected. I tried printing from the internet and a test page and no color. My cartridges are half full at least. I ran HP Print Doctor to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for contacting HP.

As I understand you do not get the Color settings on the printer drivers, I will assist you with the same.

Have you tried making a color copy from the printer front icon on the display and checked if that works.

If Color copy works then its a driver issue, we need to add PCL drivers for the printer.

Please perform the steps below.

For this it would depend how the printer is connected? On a Network or on a USB?

For adding the printer on USB

1) Go to Control Panel > Printers.

2) Click on Add a Printer.

3) Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed".

4) Choose the option "add a local printer or network [printer with manual settings" > next

5) Select the ports use existing port > USB001/USB002.>next.

6) Choose HP from the Manufacturers list. then choose the HP Envy 5400 series PCL3/PCL or HP Deskjet 1000 PCL Drivers.

7)Click next> choose "replace the existing drivers"> next

😎 keep clicking next and finish.

9) Try printing and check.

For Network printer add the printer with the below steps.

1) Go to Control Panel > Printers.

2) Click on Add a Printer.

3) Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed".

4) Choose the option "add a printer using TCP/IP address" > next.

5) Device Type as "Standard TCP/IP printer > Enter the IP address. >next

6) Choose HP from the Manufacturers list. then choose the HP Envy 5400 series PCL3/PCL or HP Deskjet 1000 PCL Drivers.

7)Click next> choose "replace the existing drivers"> next

😎 keep clicking next and finish.

9) Try printing and check.

For further assistance please reply to this post and we will be glad to assist you.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

It prints in color. I am in Win10 so it's Settings>Printers.  I went to add a printer even though my printer shows up as the  default printer (Network). I clicked my printer isn't listed and find through TCP/IP. When I run the Add Printer dialog box it says additional Port Information is required.  From the Device Type box I look in Standard and neither of the items you listed are in the manufacturer's list. I have a choice of HP Jet Direct, HP Jet Direct Ex (multi port), and HP Jet Direct Ex (single port). Due to this I stopped and need to ask for more help as what I have is not as expected.  In the meantime I will go back and select my printer that does show up under the Network and run the troubleshooter. BTW, when I ran HP Doctor last night and it printed the test page it did not print in color, only black and white. I don't think I mentioned that in my original request. Look forward to hearing back from you.

HP Recommended

One more thing: when I looked at my printer and asked it to show WiFi printers the printer did show up but it when I clicked on it a button showed up to "Add Device". Somehow I think a Microsoft or Spectrum update must have thrown my printer partially offline? Should I click to add the printer?

HP Recommended

Haven't heard anything since last  week and the problem has gotten worse. I went in and selected "add printer" and all that seemed to do was remove my printer from the printing box list of printers so now I can't print at all. If you can't help me can you send in someone who can please?

HP Recommended

In the end, because I was so frustrated that none of the fixes I read and tried worked, I deleted the printer from the computer altogether, did a restart, and somehow this identified and reloaded the drivers so the printer would work. Now I have to ask what it is about Win10 updates that screw up the printer? How can I prevent this?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for replying to the post.

To prevent the printer from getting offline again, you may assign Static IP to the printer.

Access EWS of the printer just to confirm if the PC and the printer and communicating to each other.

• On the Printer Home Screen, select Set Up.
  • Select Network Set Up,
  • Select Wireless Settings.
  • Look for View Wireless details, select it.
  • The printer here displays the IP Address. (e.g - 10.0.0.23,,, 192.168.2.3)
  • Make a note of the IP Address.
  • Open any Web Browser and just the IP address in the browser address bar and hit enter.
  • The Printer page should open.

If the printer page opens it means the PC and the printer are communicating to each other.

Go to the IPV4 section of the printer and assign Manual iP to the printer, Also select the IP address as Static.

Once done note the IP address and close the window.

For Windows update i would it is always good to have the windows update enabled. If Windows update cause some issue to any device software then MS releases another quick update to resolve it.

It is advisable to keep the Windows update Enabled to update automatically.

I´m an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.