Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 6978

Printer 6978 not printing cyan, have done the print head cleaning several times.  replaced the cartridge twice.  1st time as the level was low but not a warning.  2nd time since the one wasn't printing blue Staples said they would replace it incase it was a problem with the cartridge.  But still having problems.  We bought this one 3 years ago which replaced a HP - Photosmart 5520 Wireless All-In-One Printer that we had bought 3 years before that.  Does not seem right that a personal printer should only last 3 years.  If we can't get this issue resolved we most likely will not buy another HP.  And most likely not buy another HP computer either as after slightly over a year after owning our current computer the touch screen stopped working and essentially was told there was nothing that could be done as it was out of warranty.  Not a happy HP owner.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@texduff

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Amazing, I had just about the same problem and similar timing as texduff - when I saw that message first I wondered if I had written it (but details were different, texduff was getting cartirdiges from Staples, I was getting cartridges from Instant Ink program).  

In December 2019, the cyan stopped printing in my 6978 Inkjet printer all-in-one.  I thought the cartridge just hadn't been filled properly. 

Then the replacement was empty just about right away.  Or so I thought.  Or maybe 2 defective cartridges? 

Then the third cyan cartridge wouldn't print at all.  So I thought it must be the printer.  Support said it couldn't be fixed so now I am about to buy a new printer.  But reading the message from texduff, now I am wondering, maybe it really is defective cyan cartridges?  

I don't want to condemn a perfectly good printer to the landfill.  How can I tell if it's bad cartridges (3 in a row!) or broken printer? 

[and yes, I have done the clean printer head procedure multiple times, and also it doesn't matter if I copy from the platten or print from the computer, cyan doesn't print.  magenta and yellow and black are all fine]

Jeannb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.