Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer will not print.  In the HP printer utility it says in status: "Door/Cover is open" and it will not print.

Nothing is open and I can't even find ant tabs or sensors to check for malfunction.

I've powercycled the printer, reinstalled the drivers and power cycled both my computers on the network.

Please help.  I have to print my Resume.

Thanks

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I pulled it all apart and found that the broken leaver that was covered by the right side cover wasn't moving into the slot of the optical sensor on the circuit board located at the back of the unit.

With the side cover remover I am able to tape the remaining part of the leaver up so it moved the other end into the sensor and it works fine.

I just have to leave the side cover off so I can release the tape so I can trick the printer into lowering the panel in front of the ink cartirdges.

Thanks again

Eric

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Reset the printer:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.

3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.

4. Release the Report Page button.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

This doesn't work.

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks

Eric

HP Recommended

OK, well, sorry to say that it looks like your printer has broken somehow.  The switch to sense the door open is on the right side of the printer as you face it.  There is a linkage that connects a tab on the closed door to a switch buried down deep in the printer.  If that linkage breaks or the switch breaks, well, you need to fix it or get a new printer.

Sorry

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

IS tHE TAB aTTACHEDTO THE GEARED HINGES OR SOMEWHERE ELSE

IS THERE A EXPLODED VIEW AVAILABLE?

THANKS ERICI

HP Recommended

I don't know about an exploded view.  If I remember correctly (sorry don't have one in front of me), there is a tab that protrudes from the under side of the lid in the front right side of the printer.  This tab goes into a hole when the lid is closed.  Down in that hole is where the tab interfaces to the lever that trips the switch that is deep down within.

Use a flashlight open the door and look for the tab, then look for the hole where it would mate into.  Shine a light down that hole and you may be able to see something.

You could remove the top cover since it is not working and not under warranty.  I think that model only had two screws in the back and the front was on with snaps.  It is a bit of a bear to get off, but what do you have to lose?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

So I pulled it all apart and found that the broken leaver that was covered by the right side cover wasn't moving into the slot of the optical sensor on the circuit board located at the back of the unit.

With the side cover remover I am able to tape the remaining part of the leaver up so it moved the other end into the sensor and it works fine.

I just have to leave the side cover off so I can release the tape so I can trick the printer into lowering the panel in front of the ink cartirdges.

Thanks again

Eric

HP Recommended

Awesome fix.  That is actually how we dealt with the prototypes of this model before the top cover assemblies were available.

Be careful with the cover off, there is some power in there, don't get shocked!

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

You delt with this problem as a prototype and didn't redesign the part?

I couldn't find the missing piece but I can see that it was quite delicate, bound to brake and given the relatively light duty my printer sees this should have been taken care of.

I really appreciate your help and it's a wonderful printer but this is a 2 cent part that would make the printer junk for almost anyone else.

Thanks

Eric

HP Recommended

No.  We did not deal with this problem.  Our problem was that the entire top cover assembly was not done yet, but the rest of the printer was ready to test.

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.