Did you mean: 
PB2018
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer Failure error 0x6100004a

HP Officejet Pro 6978

I have purchased a HP Office Pro 6978 today and have had a error message called "0x6100004a" it will not allow me to print. I believe it has something to do with the ink system because the error always pops up after the "initializing ink system" message.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,414
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @PB2018,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. I reviewed the post regarding issues with printer errors regarding Ink system failures. I will be delighted to assist you here. Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?

It looks like a hardware issue with the printer. For now, try these steps:

• Perform all the recommended steps from this link: http://hp.care/2D0diVa (HP Printers - 'Ink System Failure' or '0x ...' Error Code Displays) and check if the issue gets fixed.

If it continues, then the printer has a hardware issue and needs to be replaced. I am being honest about it without beating around the bush.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mlenmoore
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

good luck with that.....I bought a new HP 6954 in early October.....printed about 200 pages over 6 weeks and then it started flashing the same failure/error code.  After spending 2 hours on the phone going through the same troubleshooting over and over again I was promised a 'new' printer by Rick.....oh and it will be a HP 6978 ....a newer model!

Well guess what......HP was kind enough to send me out a REFURB HP6978.  When I received the box from UPS I refused to open it as right on the side it says "Certified Refurbished" in big block letters.  I immediately called in with my case # and spent another 45 minutes on the phone with 'Pushkar' who first kept trying to troubleshoot my 6954....until I told him to START LISTENING.  I was adamant that I had recieved a refurbed machine.....he continuously put me on hold (dead air) and came back with stories about how the new units and refurbs are packaged the same.  I kept saying I wanted a new machine in an original HP sealed/glued box.  He told me to open the box I received and there would be a sealed in the box new printer inside.  Well guess what.....I carefully open the top and as I pull open the flaps I now have in my hands (first piece of paper I see) a HP Certified certificate "This HP certified refurbished printer has been meticulously inspected and tested to ensure it meet new-product preformance criteria" along with a printer in a plastic bag.  Eventually - after consulting with his supervisor repeatedly - admitted that I had received a refurbished machine.....and that 'was HPs policy".  When asked repeatedly if it was HPs policy to outright lie to customers he had no repsonse other that to ask me if I would like his help in intializing the new printer.  Yeah right

oh and....don't sign up for the Instant Ink program......my 6954 was unplugged / disconnected for a month....but somehow I needed a new set of ink cartridges.  Go figure.....and now that I want to de register my 6954 from the program they are going to charge me $3.99 plus tax.  

welcome to the warped world of HP Customer Service!!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,466
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mlenmoore

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

0 Kudos
mlenmoore
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2 weeks have gone by with no repsonse.....shocking

0 Kudos
Roxanne64
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see where to find the solution to this problem.  I can see people have brought it up, but where are the solutions?

0 Kudos
hottoddy1
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 6978 producing printer error  as in the subject 0x6100004a. Printer not used for 5 months and the home was stopped from going above 90 degrees with A/C. Would this cause a problem with the inks and generating the error message?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 423 523
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hottoddy1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue with the printhead of the printer. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned in previous posts?

The Operating environment for a HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer is stated below:

• Allowed operating temperature: 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)

• Recommended operating temperature: 15° to 32°C (59° to 90° F)

• Operating relative humidity: 15% to 80% RH non-condensing

• Recommended relative humidity: 20% to 80% non-condensing

You may refer to this document to resolve the error on the printer.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Mipple
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello - I got "Printer failure - 0x6100004a" after my printer wouldn't "shut down" and after it said I had a "paper jam" which wasn't there and after I unplugged and did all suggested for hours --- I APPRECIATE YOU cutting to the chase and telling me - I need to replace the machine - Thank you !

0 Kudos
terriekhenson
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It was actually error 0x6100004b. My printer keeps saying there is a paper jam.  I try to shut down the printer, but it won't shut down unless I unplug the printer

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation