Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2600 All-in-One
macOS 10.15 Catalina

All of a sudden, my Deskjet 2600 won't print.  The print queue says, "Printing-waiting for the printer to become available."

I've reset the printing system and reinstalled the printer, turned the printer off and on again, turned my Mac off and on again, but still no joy.  I'm hooked up directly via a USB cable.  I can print wirelessly to my Canon printer with no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @billj21

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Try the steps below to resolve the issue :

Clear the print queue

Close an scanning apps that might prevent jobs from printing, and then clear the queue.

1. Close Apple Image CaptureHP Easy Scan, and HP Scan, if they are open.

2. Click Finder, select Applications, click Utilities, and then double-click Terminal.

3. Type Cancel -a, and then press Enter.

4. Close the Terminal window, and then restart the computer.

5. Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Troubleshoot a USB Printer Connection

1. Turn off the printer and your computer, and then disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
  2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Check the length of the cable. If the cable is more than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length, replace the cable with one that is shorter.

3. Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. The port should be USB 2.0 or greater. If you use a USB hub or docking station, connect the cable directly to the computer.

4. Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

5. Turn on the computer, and then wait for the computer to complete the startup.

6. Turn on the printer.

• Add the printer, if you have not already done so.

Please try the steps below to connect your printer to the network.

-->On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button and the Resume button together for three seconds. (When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on)  
--->On your computer or phone go to wifi and connect it to your printer 
--->Select your printer with DIRECT in the name from the list of available networks (example: DIRECT-74-HP Deskjet2600).
--->Select the Wi-Fi Direct printer signal in Wi-Fi settings 
--->If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.
--->Now open a browser and type 192.168.223.1
--->you will be able to access the printer's EWS page 
--->on the page, you will find network - click on it 
--->go to wireless and select wireless setup wizard
--->now select the network that you want your printer to connect to and type in the password 
--->the printer will have solid blue light if it's connected 
--->then connect your phone back to your network

then add your printer to the computer and try and print. 

refer to Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @billj21

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Try the steps below to resolve the issue :

Clear the print queue

Close an scanning apps that might prevent jobs from printing, and then clear the queue.

1. Close Apple Image CaptureHP Easy Scan, and HP Scan, if they are open.

2. Click Finder, select Applications, click Utilities, and then double-click Terminal.

3. Type Cancel -a, and then press Enter.

4. Close the Terminal window, and then restart the computer.

5. Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Troubleshoot a USB Printer Connection

1. Turn off the printer and your computer, and then disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
  2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Check the length of the cable. If the cable is more than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length, replace the cable with one that is shorter.

3. Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. The port should be USB 2.0 or greater. If you use a USB hub or docking station, connect the cable directly to the computer.

4. Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

5. Turn on the computer, and then wait for the computer to complete the startup.

6. Turn on the printer.

• Add the printer, if you have not already done so.

Please try the steps below to connect your printer to the network.

-->On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button and the Resume button together for three seconds. (When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on)  
--->On your computer or phone go to wifi and connect it to your printer 
--->Select your printer with DIRECT in the name from the list of available networks (example: DIRECT-74-HP Deskjet2600).
--->Select the Wi-Fi Direct printer signal in Wi-Fi settings 
--->If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.
--->Now open a browser and type 192.168.223.1
--->you will be able to access the printer's EWS page 
--->on the page, you will find network - click on it 
--->go to wireless and select wireless setup wizard
--->now select the network that you want your printer to connect to and type in the password 
--->the printer will have solid blue light if it's connected 
--->then connect your phone back to your network

then add your printer to the computer and try and print. 

refer to Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I am glad the wireless scanning is working, let's try and resolve the original issue.

Try the steps in the document to resolve the Scanning issue with USB connection.

USB Scanner Connection Error (Mac)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I will work on resolving the issue properly, but I'll be away from my computer for about three weeks.  I'll refresh my memory in the middle of June!

Thanks Again,

billj21

HP Recommended

Alright, get back to us at your convenience.

Have a great day 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.