Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I recently bought a deskjet 2540 printer and when I tried to connect it to my network it displayed a message saying "unable to connect to a 5 GHz network." I contacted my network company and they said that they couldn't do anything. Is there any way to connect the printer to my network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.   Wireless printers are not supported on the 5G networks, only the 2.4G networks.  Turn on your 2.4 band with a different SSID and connect away!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

That is correct.   Wireless printers are not supported on the 5G networks, only the 2.4G networks.  Turn on your 2.4 band with a different SSID and connect away!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  I have and 8600 all in one.  Changed to Comcast internet and the printer did not see the 5 Ghz network but saw the 2.4 ghz. (Comcast has 2 on their modem)  Spent a lot of time and called support and they told me after re doing everythng I tried that it would not connect to a 5 ghz network. So we connected it to the 2.4 ghz network. The suport tech told me I would have to change networks to print.  But low and behold..... My computer is on the 5 ghz network and prints to the printer without changing networks.  Go figure.... Wish the tech really understood this and perhaps the Comcast modem is smart enough..... which would also be nice that HP knew.  Lots of wasted effort to get it to work.  

It does work on the 5 ghz (maybe Comcast is smart)  even though the tech said it would not unless I changed the computer to the 2.4 ghz network!     

HP Recommended

Of course it will print.  Does not matter what band you are on, as long as you are on the same Network.  All 5G products can talk to 2.4G products.

Same way when you change radio stations.  You still hear the music out of the same speakers right?

HP Recommended

Sabretooth, hoping you can help with this:

I have a wifi connected M252. My mac loses connection to the printer frequently. I am using a Quantum Gateway Router from Verizon FiOS that is located in the same area as the printer and Mac. I also have a wifi extender that is located on the 2nd floor of the house. They both use the same SSID as per the instructions from Verizon. Both the 2.5 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz show as one network to simply the network for family members. Again, this is what Verizon instructions say to do. When I print, the Mac can't find the printer and I usually have to delete and add the printer in the Mac's system preferences. The printer is connected using the Bonjour setup for the Mac. By that, I mean, you go into the system prefs, add the printer, which usually pops up in the view window. One thing I noticed is that when it can't find the printer, I restart the FiOS extender on the 2nd floor and it then becomes available to print. So I'm guessing it becomes confused by the same SSID and acts as if it on a different network. To add to this, the printer only connects to the 2.4 network when I had them as separate SSIDs. The mac was on the 5.0. I always had to swith to the 2.4 to print.

Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Well you have some issues.  First, wireless printers don't like extenders (they do get confused).  Gateway devices (modem+router), like you have, are terrible for wireless connectivity.  2 strikes.

This is what needs to be done in hopes that it will work.

1.  The 2.4G and 5G bands must have different SSID names.  Same password is OK.

2.  The 2.4G bands can have the same name.  The 5G bands can have the same name.  Except in item #1.

3.  Main router and extender must have different channels.  1 and 6, 1 and 11, or 6 and 11 for the 2.4G band.

4.  Printer must be placed nearest the Access Point with channel 1 set.

5.  5G computers can talk to anything on the 2.4G band and visa versa.  Check both Access Points to make sure AP Isolation is disabled.

With your setup it might be best to use Ethernet Powerline Adapters to connect your printer to a LAN port via house wiring.  This would fix a lot of issues.  Search the Web, plenty on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethernet+powerline

Since you have a Gateway device, which are terrible for... which I've said, it would be best to put that Gateway device in full bridge mode (makes it a modem only), and connect your own high quality router that you have full control over.

However the Ethernet Powerline adapters would be best in this situation.

Next...

These settings are for setting up your wireless or wired printers to:

* Stay connected to your router
* Fix printer ‘offline’ status
* Wake from sleep mode
* Speed up wireless printing

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and MUST be outside the DHCP address range of the router. This is because printers are the only external devices that do not have the ability to automatically interrupt the router for a new DHCP address once the least time expires.  Again, do not have the printers static IP within the DHCP range of the router as this is against Networking 101 rules and will confuse the router.  Make things simple – In the router, set starting DHCP address range 192.168.1.100 (or 192.168.0.100). Ending DHCP address range 192.168.1.150 (or 192.168.0.150).  Set Printer Static IP to 192.168.1.10 (or 192.168.0.10). 

After setting the static IP, the computer(s) must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers’ new static IP address.

1. Set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual).  This Static IP is important as DHCP IP addresses will change upon different power up sequences of your devices.  You always want your printer to come up with the same IP address all the time.  See how to do this here:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/linksys-tip-assign-static-ip-address-to-printer-while-using-dhcp-on-yo...

This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed.  Then after setting the static IP in the printer, the computer(s) must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers IP address. 

To see why this problem exists and how to fix it, watch this video here for Windows.   Scroll down for MAC information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqvUKxWmq4

How to set a Standard TCP/IP port.  This is important.

a).  Click Start/Devices and Printers. Right click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b).  Select Add Port. Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c).  Follow the Add Port Wizard. Under Printer Name or IP Address, input the Static IP address you just set from the above information.  Example:  168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  This is OK to leave this alone or you can put in your Printer Model.

d).  Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

If you create a TCP/IP port without a static IP above, you may lose your TCP/IP connection and have the same issue. This is because your network has powered up differently giving you a different DHCP address to the printer that does not match the TCP/IP address above.  This could occur at anytime just like the video shows.

For MAC PCs perform the above Static IP setting in the router and then watch here on how to perform your IP setting for MAC computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tNFjEBDOw

By performing the above, the printers Embedded Web Server (EWS) will now work all the time by going to your Printers Static IP address in your browser. 

2.  Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep/Energy Saving Mode' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0) if your printer supports this. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off, or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printer Properties. This feature is automatically disabled when the printer is connected to a computer or mobile device, a network, or a fax line (if supported).  However, you may not find this setting.

3.   If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, disable IPv6 in the printer.

4.  Make sure printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into a UPS, power strip or surge protector. This may cause the printer to intermittently drop offline and disconnect.

5.  Make sure your printer and router are at least 5 feet apart from each other.

6.  Check the HP web site for your printer to see if there is a Firmware Upgrade that affects the wireless operation. If yes, update the firmware via USB cable only.  Never wireless.

Additional steps to be taken if you continue to have the problem (if they are posted)…

Click on the link to subscribe and get the latest video uploads: https://goo.gl/y4Rcn1 This tutorial shows how to add a printer using the IP address for macOS 10.12 Sierra. The added printer is sometimes more stable and also helps to resolve some print and scan issues such printer offline. HP ...
Printer offline issues can happen because the IP address of the printer keeps changing. This video explains how that can happen and what to do to fix it. For more tech tips, check out https://www.linearthoughts.co.uk . 00:00 - Introduction 00:18 - The Problem and Why it Occurs 03:47 - Solution ...
HP Recommended

Thank you for the wealth of info. Will try all of this. 

HP Recommended

It will print on 5g but you can not scan to computer on 5g

HP Recommended

How does one actually turn on my 2.4 band with a different SSID? How do I set all of this up? I have a Laserjet Pro 400 M451dw. It worked fine until we bought a new router that supports both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. When we set up the router, the printer stopped working. Not sure what I need to do to get it working again. Please, if you can offer any advice or direction, it is more than greatly appreciated. 

HP Recommended

I assumed the two bands were different networks.  So the the two bands are in the same networks, simply working at different speeds? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.