Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6835
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My officejet pro 6835 multifunction printer (HP) prints documents just fine,such as email or anything off of the computer. Ink levels are sufficient in the three colors and in the black. When I try copying a document and get the option of printing in black or color, I select "black" and the copy starts off being printed in black, but then the black starts to "fade out" and becomes red instead. There are no error messages, the "scan doctor" reports everything is working fine, there are no recent software nor driver changes, and our internet connection is wifi (wireless). It makes me think that the computer is not using black ink for copying, but raher "making" black ink from a combination of the colors and midway one or more of the colors "turn off" and the predominant color is left to finish the job. But it  should be copying by using only the black ink cartridge. Should be. What am I doing wrong - how do I fix this now out  of warranty printer?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@pharrside,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues related to your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Did you recently replace ink the cartridges?

Are you able to print an internal test page from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to follow the steps to print an Internal test page from the printer and check if that helps.

Alternatively, you can also go through this support document for - HP Printers - Improving Copy Quality

If you have followed the steps suggested in the support document as well as tried to print an internal test page and still having the issue. I would personally suggest this could be an issue with the printer itself. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I guess I am in the market for a new printer. I have tried your suggestions, Jeet, and the issue remains - black copies when printing from computer, red copies when printing copies on printer. I even tried scanning a document to the computer and then printing, but the printer somehow "knows" I was trying to trick it! (Must be imbued with a form of AI?). The scanned copy printed off red as well. Truly confusing. I contacted support, and he suggested that I clean the rollers with lint free cloth and water. They are cleaner but do not roll any different, and copies are still red. I really think that this printer is using the colors to try to make black copies instead of drawing ink from the black cartridge - I printed out a Printer Status Report, and it prints off true black and appropriate colors, and what is remarkable is that for the estimated ink level (#36) it shows Magenta, Yellow, and Black at appropriate levels, but the Cyan is empty! No stripe of color is printed in the bracketed area for Cyan.So off to market I go!

HP Recommended

@pharrside,

I read the post. Your time and patience are greatly appreciated.  Excellent troubleshooting and diagnosis followed. Kudos to you for that.  As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. It looks like you need a replacement, as the printer does not copy in black correctly.

The evidence points to a  hardware issue with the printer.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had one more thing I wanted to try. All ink cartridges have ink in them (at least 50% full each). The printer status report item #36 prints out estimated ink levels for each color, showing a representative stripe for each color between respective brackets. The bracket for Cyan was blank, so I thought perhaps the printer does not recognize the cartridge - if I put a new cartridge in then perhaps the printer will recognize it? Alas, was not to be - I printed another status report and the Cyan bracket,which should have a stripe from left bracket to right bracket with a new cartridge in place, still does not recognize the Cyan, as the brackets remain "empty" for Cyan. 

On a side note, I am a retired pharmacist, and when our daughter was born, we named her after Vitamin B-12, which is also known as cyanocobalamin. No, her name is not cyanocobalamin, but shortened to Cyan! (The vitamin actually has cobalt in it, which is where the -cobalamin part of the name originates.)

Any suggestions David or Jeet as to which of your printers Imight shop forthat use the same ink cartridges (943xl and 945xl)? I have extras on hand for this printer and perhaps could buy another printer that will use them?

Thanks to both of you, Jeet and David!

HP Recommended

@pharrside,

Thanks for replying. You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for thatYour time and efforts are greatly appreciated. 🙂 The name Cyan for your daughter is a lively name too. 🙂

You nailed it and figured out things perfectly. The printer needs a replacement as it is faulty. So you could try these options:

To answer your quest you could contact either HP shopping or phone support to find out which printer is compatible with the current set of ink cartridges.

Steps to contact HP phone support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2moMFSc  

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

• HP shopping link: http://hp.care/2rQLe1b (HP shopping)  Please visit this link and follow the on-screen instructions.You might get a phone number to call them also. this will help you to find a compatible printer that works correctly with these set of cartridges.
  •  
  • Also if you visit HP sure supply  http://hp.care/2fuievb and check under related printers after entering the cartridge number and it should bring the list of printers that are compatible with your cartridges.
  • Now if these printers are still manufactured by HP and are still available then you could order one of these to ensure that you could use the same cartridges with them.
  • However, if these printers are older printers and not manufactured anymore, might need to buy another printer. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you here. You are a valued HP customer and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and fabulous to work with you.

Good luck and keep me posted.

If this helps, to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed week ahead. 

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Device - HP Officejet 6835

Problem - Problems with Copy and Scan Functions

a.  Until recently, the printer performed copy and scan functions correctly. But now:

(1)  When copying and I choose Color it copies correctly. But when I choose Black it makes black using color ink.

(2)  When I attempt to scan... from computer end when selecting scan in HP Printer Assistant, the software on the computer does not find the scanner function on the printer... from printer end I get "No Computer Found".

b.  When running Print and Scan Doctor 5.2.1 when it gets to the Communicating with HP Officejet 6830 display, the progress bar moves reasonably quickly across the screen until it get about 1/8 inch from the end. At that point it stalls out. No matter how long you wait, the progress bar never progresses to the end.

c.  The printer still prints correctly in either color, or black and white mode. HP Printer Assistant correctly interacts with the printer function of the printer when doing things like printing a Print Quality Diagnostic Page.

HP Recommended

@John2141
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Let's try this: 

Step 1: Change copy settings

1. Touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo on the printer control panel, and then select any available basic settings that apply to your copy job.

2. Touch Settings or the gear icon  to open the copy job options. You might need to scroll down the control panel screen to access all settings.

• Paper Type: Select the type of plain or photo paper for your copies.

• Quality: Select an available copy quality level.

• Lighter/Darker or Contrast: If the original is faded or too saturated, make the copy lighter or darker.

• Optimize or Enhancements: Select the type of item you are copying to improve quality, such as sharpening text and image edges or improving faded colors in photos.

• HP Copy Fix: Automatic copy quality and skew adjustment tool.

• Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults: Retains the selected settings for future copy jobs.

3. Depending on the printer, touch Start, or return to the main Copy screen by touching Back, and then touch Start Black, Start Color, or OK to start the copy job.

Step 2: Reset the printer and check the power source:

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to make sure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists using a different wall outlet, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Troubleshoot ink or toner cartridge issues:

Ink or toner cartridge issues can cause unsatisfactory copy quality. Go to HP Customer Support, type your printer model number if necessary, and then search for print quality to locate the document for your printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.